Sanitizer sucked in to carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YarrMeBeer

Reaction score
I was cold crashing in my kegerator using a Better Bottle and blow off tube, with about a 1/2 gal of sanitizer on the other end of the blow off. The cooler temperatures created a negative pressure to form in the BB, and forced the walls of the BB to squeeze in a little bit (I was lazy and waited too long to keg). Some sanitizer was sucked up the blow off tube, but not enough that it had me worried it would go into the brew. I checked this afternoon and all of the sanitizer had been sucked up in to the beer. Definitely my own fault for not getting around to kegging, but should I be worried about how safe it is to drink? It most likely won't taste great, but I figure if it's safe to drink, I'll at least try it and make the call then. Thanks for your help!

That's a lot!

But if the sanitizer was a normal concentration of starsan, I wouln't worry too much about it. Was it starsan?

Your beer has alcohol in in now, and that is poison to the bacteria that you would be concerned with, so that's good too.

At this point, you need to sit back, relax, don't worry, have a homebrew, and plan your next beer.

Assuming your sanitizer is StarSan:

I had a bunch of StarSan mixed in with my wort at one point due to, well, stupidity, probably up to a gallon. I contacted Five Star Chemicals (makers of StarSan) and told them what had happened. Since it was pre-fermentation, I was okay because the yeast would actually consume the StarSan. Post-fermentation, they recommended throwing it out.

You could probably give them a call and ask about your specific situation.

Back