drinking from the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alembic

Reaction score
I was just wondering if all you folks who bottle your homebrews, when drinking them, do you always decant it into a glass or do you ever drink right from the bottle and risk stirring up the sediment. My very first batch of beer is still in the primary right now and I plan on bottling this weekend. In anticipation of finally drinking it I was wondering what everybody else did.

I hate waiting!

I always decant, but that's just me! I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking the sediment. In fact, I think it has B-vitamins in it. I just like having a clearer beer in my glass!:p

Yeah, I always decant my homebrew too. But as Rhoobarb stated it won't hurt you. I guess the yeast gives some people gas . . . I haven't noticed though . . . maybe I better ask my wife if she's noticed anything. If for no other reason I like to see the color of my beer and compare it from batch to batch or compare it to commmercially brewed beers.

Some commercial beers are bottle conditioned as well and I've sucked down tons of their yeast with no noticeable side effects - but again, maybe I should ask the wife.

AHU

most people, most of the time will pour into a glass. thats mainly because a knowledgable beer drinker, especially one evaluating their own beers, wants to experience all aspects of the beer (i.e. color, clarity, aroma, etc.) which can only be properly done in a glass. however, i take my homebrews many places (ski hill parking lot, camping, etc.) where i'll just drink it straight from the bottle. it doesnt really matter when you just need a beer ya' know.

Back