10 gallon partial extract questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
I've been doing 5 gallon partial extract kits. I really enjoy brewing this way and I'm not ready to jump into all grain just yet. I want to do 10 gallon batches so I got a nice 15 gallon brew pot and some more ale pales. I just purchased two 5 gallon imperial nut brown kits figuring I can just double up on the ingredients to do a 10 gallon batch. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong. I'll be doing full boils so does 12 gallons of water sound about right? Also the cost of the 2 kits was almost 90 bucks - ouch! I know buying the ingredients separately will be a lot cheaper but I'm having a hard time finding 10 gallon partial extract recipes, or even kits for that matter. Any help is appreciated, thanks

In my onion you can take any recipe and just scale it to the size you want. Obviously if you went from 5 gal to a 40 gal batch there would be some big differences but if you are going from 5-10 gal you should be ok. One thing to consider is yeast, you might want to make a starter or pitch a couple vials for a 10 gallon batch.

I've been doing 5 gallon partial extract kits. I really enjoy brewing this way and I'm not ready to jump into all grain just yet. I want to do 10 gallon batches so I got a nice 15 gallon brew pot and some more ale pales. I just purchased two 5 gallon imperial nut brown kits figuring I can just double up on the ingredients to do a 10 gallon batch. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong. I'll be doing full boils so does 12 gallons of water sound about right? Also the cost of the 2 kits was almost 90 bucks - ouch! I know buying the ingredients separately will be a lot cheaper but I'm having a hard time finding 10 gallon partial extract recipes, or even kits for that matter. Any help is appreciated, thanks

Do yourself a huge favor and look for deathbrewers stove top all grain method. Its a brew in the bag all grain for stove top. Since your going to do bigger volume brews and you have the pot to do it in, why not just do the jump and go all grain.

Ive been brewing for over a year now, did several extract batches, did 2 partial mashes and realized that ag is so much better. You dont need a mash tun or anything fancy if you do biab, and since your already doing the partial mashes why not just step it up, it will save you some cash and you will have a lot more control over the brews and recipes. Then you only need to buy some DME for emergency purposes in case you miss your OG.

Do yourself a huge favor and look for deathbrewers stove top all grain method. Its a brew in the bag all grain for stove top. Since your going to do bigger volume brews and you have the pot to do it in, why not just do the jump and go all grain.

Ive been brewing for over a year now, did several extract batches, did 2 partial mashes and realized that ag is so much better. You dont need a mash tun or anything fancy if you do biab, and since your already doing the partial mashes why not just step it up, it will save you some cash and you will have a lot more control over the brews and recipes. Then you only need to buy some DME for emergency purposes in case you miss your OG.

I agree. Although, from what I understand, deathbrewer's method is more of a BIAB+sparge, but since you already have such a large pot, you would be able to do the aussie BIAB (usually starting with ~8-9g h2o). Buying in bulk and doing all grain would cut your costs by at least half, if not more.

In answer to your original question, yeah you can double your recipe, with the knowledge that there are slight differences between brewing 5 and 10g batches, depending on your processes.

Back