Adding Red Color to a Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorseth

Reaction score
I am making a Christmas Mead (with things like Mulling spices, cinnamon, etc.) and I would like to make it a nice red color. Is there a good way to make it red without adding much flavor? Or at least something that is appropriate to the mead (I'm not looking to add fruit to it)? I was looking for something other than red food coloring unless that's simply the best way to go.

Thanks!

I use dried hibiscus too. It can add a little astringency and some flavors - some say raspberry/rhubarb but to me its closest to cranberry - but neither would likely be very noticeable in a big or sweet or spiced mead, and I'm guessing you've got all three.

I've had hibiscus tea & it's pretty tart--not an objectionable flavor, but not flavorless. You might want to make a tea out of what you're going to use first & taste it. Or steep a small amount as a test.

Red food coloring after fermentation ends might work. Just don't add it in the beginning, the yeast soaks it up.

Thanks for the info! That's interesting and good to know. I think I am going to try the hibiscus tea and maybe start low and dose it up to what I want.

Latest posts

Back