Flavoring with wood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
My wife and I went on the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour a few years ago in St. Louis and were given a brief overview and look at the tanks where the beer and beechwood for Budweiser meet. I've always been a fan of applewood smoke in my barbeque for a long time now, how exactly do I use wood for an added flavor in my beer and could I use the wood chips they sell in the grilling section at the hardware store or am I limited to getting it from a specialty store? Not thinking about doing it right now but sometime in the future though.

They don't use the wood for flavor. It is used only to increase surface area for the yeast to touch the beer.

I did a Scottish Ale that required oak chips in the secondary. Some complained about not being able to taste the oak so they recommended that you boil up a small quantity of water. Toss in the chips and boil the sanitize. Water and oak into the secondary. My brew friend thought that batch was one of my best. My family didn't like it at all.

My wife and I went on the Anheuser-Busch brewery tour a few years ago in St. Louis and were given a brief overview and look at the tanks where the beer and beechwood for Budweiser meet. I've always been a fan of applewood smoke in my barbeque for a long time now, how exactly do I use wood for an added flavor in my beer and could I use the wood chips they sell in the grilling section at the hardware store or am I limited to getting it from a specialty store? Not thinking about doing it right now but sometime in the future though.

I have done this, my way of getting Applewood flavor was to put two lb of my grain in a metal fine mesh strainer. I then fired up my brothers Big Green Egg smoker grill and smoked the grain for 20min. That two lb of grain gave great smoked applewood flavor into five gal of beer. The recipe is in the IPA recipe forum under Applewood Smoked IPA. I use wood alot and love the flacks you can add it is anouther way to add dimention. I have a Heavy Brown Ale sitting with Spanish Cedar in it right now. Spanish Cedar is what is used in Humidor's check out the web site for Cigar City Brewing, they use all kinds of wood in there beer. Hope it helps send a priv. Message if you want can talk about it more
Good brewing to all

I have done this, my way of getting Applewood flavor was to put two lb of my grain in a metal fine mesh strainer. I then fired up my brothers Big Green Egg smoker grill and smoked the grain for 20min. That two lb of grain gave great smoked applewood flavor into five gal of beer. The recipe is in the IPA recipe forum under Applewood Smoked IPA. I use wood alot and love the flacks you can add it is anouther way to add dimention. I have a Heavy Brown Ale sitting with Spanish Cedar in it right now. Spanish Cedar is what is used in Humidor's check out the web site for Cigar City Brewing, they use all kinds of wood in there beer. Hope it helps send a priv. Message if you want can talk about it more
Good brewing to all

If it's the same spanish cedar that CC uses, it will add a LOT of flavor to the beer. I got some spanish cedar from the brewery and man it absoluted lit up an IPA I made. It was very excellent :rockin: My local Woodcraft carries it also. I need to try theirs and compare to the spirals.

Back