ornamental hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehr

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that there is a ornamental that grows like crazy but not that great for brewing I want to put some on a trelis for my wife and at the end of the season make a wreath out of them. But I can't find where I had found that information...Anyone know what hop I'm talking about.

Thanks Pat

I want to say I have heard that Sunbeam is used a lot as an ornamental hop. It also will produce cones and has a similar profile to Saaz. I remember reading about a guy on here who got several pounds worth of hop cones from his neighbors ornamental hops each year.

Sunbeam's leaves are a really nice yellow, but they need shade.

What's wrong with growing a hop that is good for brewing? You don't boil the leaves and stems.

I agree, go ahead and grow a hop you like, even if you don't harvest it, you may want to some day (then you'd have a mature plant). You don't have to build a huge trellis to get a yield, if you are using it for ornamentation then grow it however it fits into that area, so what if production suffers :)

I have 16 rhizomes in the ground now but she saw the the hop wreath at bell's and has to have one...That one still has the cone's on it !

Pat

Ohhh ok! Didn't know you were alerady an avid hop farmer. Yeah if it is shady go with sunbeam. Otherwise most ornamental hops sold are of the cluster family.

Thanks conpewter now that I think about it some local guy still has some cascade rhizomes I can get !

Pat

Back