Few Grains in wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an IPA right now and a few grain particles made it into the boiler from sparging....will these settle out during fermentation or is there a good method to removing them???

Judging by the time of your post, I'm guessing you already have it figured out. I put my hops into the boil and then run everything through a strainer when I put the wort into my fermenter. So, I'd think the same would hold true of any other superfluous items, e.g., grains, false teeth, eye glasses and car keys.

Judging by the time of your post, I'm guessing you already have it figured out. I put my hops into the boil and then run everything through a strainer when I put the wort into my fermenter. So, I'd think the same would hold true of any other superfluous items, e.g., grains, false teeth, eye glasses and car keys.

I heard false teeth add some nice flavor!! LOL

Well I didnt have a strainer, so I added the wort to the fermenter....Looks like there are quite a few grain particles....

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

I song strain my wort. I just racked a IIPA to secondary yesterday and it had over 2 I ches of trub in the primary. I just hold my racking cane above the trub bed so that the runnings through the transfer tube are relatively clear. Do the same thing when kegging.

That wiuldbe my suggesting. YMMV

BA_from_GA said:
I song strain my wort. I just racked a IIPA to secondary yesterday and it had over 2 I ches of trub in the primary. I just hold my racking cane above the trub bed so that the runnings through the transfer tube are relatively clear. Do the same thing when kegging.

That wiuldbe my suggesting. YMMV

I'm assuming the grains wont give any off flavors????

Not 100% sure what other people do, but i've generally used a paint strainer into the kettle to filter out the remaining grains that my vorlauf may miss. You generally don't want to boil husk / grain as they can often lead to tannin and off flavor.

As it stands now, all you can really do is roll with it as its in the primary. It should settle out just fine, but time will tell if you end up with any 'off' flavors / bitterness.

It'll be fine...if there is really a lot in there you may have a little off flavor but i think it will be fine...it will settle out and when you rack, like BA from GA said..leave the cane a little abouve the trub.

I have measured my trub from other batches and have a pretty good idea how far to put the cane down. Once it gets towards the bottom I just move my cane down furthur till I get all the wort.

for the future I would suggest a strainer for when you go to fermenter...that will help considerbly...but yoiu still may get a little through. Just vorlauf really well.

Don't sweat it. They will drop out and a few will not matter much. I could see more of a problem with a pilsner but any decent ale should be strong enough to not matter. My last IPA had a few grains in the runoff as my false bottom was too small and was letting stuff get around the edge. The wort was clear but a few grains were getting through. I stopped caring after the first gallon of vorloughing and the beer still turned out great.

Back