Ideas for Kegging Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperbrew

Reaction score
Let me do my best explain my anticipated kegging setup:

Because my kegs will be housed underneath a bar, I want easy access to them without having to slide a freezer out to swap kegs. With that said, I plan on having 2 mini-fridges side-by-side, with 2 kegs in each, and a 10# or 20# tank outside the fridges to supply CO2 for all 4 kegs.

Here's where I need help:

What is a good way to set up my gas lines/regulators so I can supply individual pressure to each keg? I want to have control of each keg so I can more easily ensure proper carbing for different styles of beer. Since I'm just now getting into kegging and trying to better understand CO2 setups, any and all information would be appreciated.

I have a 5# and a 10# CO2 container -- each setup has a T connector coming off of the output of the container going to a regulator... that way I can control each individual line, if I want to.

But Odaniel is right, if you want to go expensive. Otherwise, you can use something like this Stainless Tees - Gas Hardware - Kegging
or -my preference-

CO2 Distributor 2 Way w/ 1/4" barb shutoff

When I have four kegs, I typically break them off into pairs of two that need about the same type of pressure.

i'm cheap though.....

I am also new, and happy with my two tap kegerator. It has been up and running about a year. I am no expert...I use the barb shutoff type. I shut the one off that I am not working with. Either charge at thirty pounds pressure and shake for force carb, or let sit and chill for a regular carbonation. Then shut that one off and go back to the other at 5 psi to serve.

There is carbonation to volume I have not read too much about (every time I start reading, I start spending...got to get control on my hobby). you might want to check it out before deciding what you want to spend.

Thanks for the responses.

ODaniel, those regulators are what I had been looking at, albeit the cheaper version, but when I was discussing this set up with at my LBS it was implied that was a bit overkill. As I said, I'm still trying to figure out all the different options for setting up a kegging system and didn't know if there was a more economical way to control each keg's carbonation.

I'm trying to figure out how using the barbed 'T' will allow for seperate control of each keg. Is there a website or other source that has diagrams or something I can look at to get a better idea of different setups work?

Thanks for the responses.

ODaniel, those regulators are what I had been looking at, albeit the cheaper version, but when I was discussing this set up with at my LBS it was implied that was a bit overkill. As I said, I'm still trying to figure out all the different options for setting up a kegging system and didn't know if there was a more economical way to control each keg's carbonation.

I'm trying to figure out how using the barbed 'T' will allow for seperate control of each keg. Is there a website or other source that has diagrams or something I can look at to get a better idea of different setups work?

You have separate control of each keg only in that you can use a shut off valve to open/close. You can't control different PSI settings with only the T. To do that, you need a separate regulator.

I have three regulators altogether, and I almost never set it for different pressures. Here's why- my lines are balanced so I get a great pour with no foam. If I raise the pressure for a more highly carbed beer, I can get some foam. If I lower it for a lower carbed beer (like an English mild), then it's fine but pours slowly.

In your case, one or two regulators may be fine. You can serve almost all beers with the same regulator set up with a WYE or T. If you really have your heart set on carbing to style and serving foam free, you may want to go with a dual primary regulator set up.

geting dual primary regulators with a Y and shutoff valves on each is probably the most flexability for the price. it will give you 2 pressures and on/off for each gas line.

I use dual primaries with a 3way one one, as 75% of my beers are carbed at 2.25-2.5 volumes.

Back