Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious what water profile people are having sucess with for this beer?.
Thanks

I asked the same question and was told that success has been had with the American Lager profile in Bru'n Water. That's the profile I'm going to use for my first attempt at brewing this one this weekend.

Water here is just too chlorinated. I use 2 gallons boiled tap and the balance RO water for a 5 g batch. Works great so far.

Yeah the exact words were "without any of that it's just a cream ale" I suppose not tradition in the modern style but historically cream ales had bitterness around 20-30IBU and were even dry hopped sometimes. Definitely a good base I picked up my flaked corn the other day and as for minute rice does anyone have a particular brand they use? I forgot to pick up flaked rice and figured trip to grocery store is easier

I just used the store brand instant brown rice (Hy-Vee around here). Thought it might add a depth of flavor but nothing I noticed.

Water here is just too chlorinated. I use 2 gallons boiled tap and the balance RO water for a 5 g batch. Works great so far.

Why not do the ol, pour 7 gallons or whatever you need for your batch into your kettle and leave it out overnight? Water here in Vancouver is chlorinated as well but that seems to help. I've tried Campden tablets in the water as well " apparently says beer Smith ur supposed to add tablet/s to the mash for 60 min."

Anyone know how US-04 would do in this beer? I just realized I only have a half packet of 05. If 05 is better then would half a packet be enough for a 5 gallon batch?

I decided just to go with a 6 gallon batch. Did 5 gallons with 04 and 1 gallon with 05. Now I can truly compare the difference between them with everything else the same.

Changed things up a bit taking this as inspiration. Goal is 10 gallon batch.

19# Briess Pilsen
2# Bestmalz Vienna
2# Briess Flaked Rice
2# Briess Flaked Maize
5/8# Dextrose
1/4# Briess C60

10min→0.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)
5min→1.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)
0min/WP→1.5oz Mandarina Bavaria (6%AA)

Fermented with US05. Will report back results, the original smell of the hops have a big melon nose with touches of floral citrus. Could be awesome!

View attachment 1490208421644.jpg

Well. Results will be postponed as my smoothest brew day ever with good efficiency at 85% ending up with 12 gallons of 1.067 wort that got pissed away due to a clumbsy​ fall moving the kettle that also made a dent in said kettle. Will rebrew next week after I repair the holes I punched in the wall.

View attachment 1490229870045.jpg

View attachment 1490229877833.jpg

Well. Results will be postponed as my smoothest brew day ever with good efficiency at 85% ending up with 12 gallons of 1.067 wort that got pissed away due to a clumbsy​ fall moving the kettle that also made a dent in said kettle. Will rebrew next week after I repair the holes I punched in the wall.

Holy crap! I feel for ya man! That's rough!

That really sucks!!!

Damn! That sucks. That's like when I decided to put 2 carboys by eachother just after I cleaned em so both were soaking wet... Went to lift the one to pour some wort in the other and instead it slipped right out of my hands smashed into the other carboy and shattered.

Nicely done! I hope you like Cream of 3 Hops as much as I did! :)

Thabks! Appreciate it.
I'm looking forward to this new batch. The OP I found the corn flavour to be too much.

I'll be making quite a few more videos.. next one I'll be doing will be on yeast washing. I pitched my washed us05 for my current batch and it took off like a hot damn! Started fermenting in an hour with no starter.

It is also called flaked maize, you just put it in with the rest of your mash at 152° or whatever your mash temp may be. Also don't crush the flaked corn in a grinder just put it in with your crushed grains.

what is corn flaked?Can I buy some corn to crush it and then heat it to
140 or 158 F?

Your local homebrew store should sell flaked corn; it's precooked and you can just add it directly to the mash.

If you have an air popper, you can substitute popped popcorn. (a pound of popcorn is a lot)

4cfbe1e9-acea-4b79-9986-32f58830a663.jpg

Thanks BierMuncher!!! My first try at this turned out great!!!
7 lbs. 2 Row Pale Malt US
2.5 lbs. Corn Flaked
.75 lbs Minute Rice
.5 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
Hops (Leaf):
.7 Crystal
.7 Willamette both at 60 minutes
(added in the remaining .3 of each hop in final 15 min.)
Yeast: WLP 080 Cream Ale (2nd Generation)
Post-Boil OG: 1.057
Final: 1.012 ABV: 4.98
Brew date was 2/15. Kegged 3/9

This is very smooth dry and very clear. Cold crashed and used gelatin for the first time. Also first time reusing yeast. I'll be making more of this for the summer no doubt!

I'll be making quite a few more videos.. next one I'll be doing will be on yeast washing....

Why do you wash yeast? Seems opinion has moved to harvesting yeast as is and repitch slurry. This is what I've done for years now without any issues. Quick and effective.

Why do you wash yeast? Seems opinion has moved to harvesting yeast as is and repitch slurry. This is what I've done for years now without any issues. Quick and effective.

Washing is typical of large generation commercial brewers.. I think it's for sanitization reasons at that scale.

You can pitch over for sure but wash for different style. I've always just washed and added to mason jars for further pitches.

You can pitch over for sure but wash for different style. I've always just washed and added to mason jars for further pitches.

Hmmm, I haven't picked up any issues with different style beers using slurry but have thought there could be an impact. Might be something to test. I prefer not to rinse if there isn't an advantage but am all for it if it does. Also been thinking of freezing yeasts as I may not repeat the same yeast for months.

Hmmm, I haven't picked up any issues with different style beers using slurry but have thought there could be an impact. Might be something to test. I prefer not to rinse if there isn't an advantage but am all for it if it does. Also been thinking of freezing yeasts as I may not repeat the same yeast for months.

Washing reduces chances of contamination if an acid is used to inhibit bacteria.

Freezing yeast requires a freezer that doesn't have auto defrosting. Most freezers auto-cycle temperatures to de-frost themselves and the temperature swings will kill yeast. You must use a glycerol solution to suspend the yeast and prevent freezing and lysing (exploding) the cells.

Back on topic, I plan to brew this beer this weekend using WLP838 Southern German Lager Yeast that was on sale at my brew shop. According to White Labs: "This yeast is characterized by a malty finish and balanced aroma. It is a strong fermentor, produces slight sulfur, and low diacetyl." I'm hoping for increased smoothness of flavor and mouthfeel by using a lager yeast. I'll be using the accelerated (Tasty McDole) lager method with a temperature ramp to 70F over two weeks. I may have to add WLP001 to get the beer to drop below 1.010 given the lager yeast's low-moderate attenuation potential.

Anyone else play with lager yeast and this recipe?

Anyone else play with lager yeast and this recipe?

I brewed a 10g "imperial" version (OG of 1.064) of this back in February. 5g went with Safale US05 and the other with Saflager W34/70. Both were fermented at 59. The ale was delicious. I'm picking some small esters on the lager. I suspect I didn't pitch enough yeast.

I fermented it at 59 since people reported that they have used this lager yeast at ale temps with good success.

I'm planning to brew a German pilsner this weekend using the same lager yeast. This time, I'll pitch more yeast, start colder but follow the lager instructions from Brulosophy, which I believe are based similar to what you're​ attempting.

Bottled up 58 bottles yesterday, had a little extra. Batch #2 of this, loved the first one, this one tasted better.

Well, this is a fun recipe to play with and I was going to be creative and make a "cream of four crops" version of this beer using 2-row, corn, rice, and some flaked oats. Turns out that I forgot the rice, so I ended up with an unexpected three crop variant :drunk:. I split the wort three ways and pitched different yeasts:

Safale 34/70 (52 F)
Southern German Lager (52 F)
Belgian Saison II (64 F)

It will be interesting to see how the beer differs from the previous batch I brewed using trusty Safale US-05.

Just picked up ingredients for a 5 gallon batch of this - $14! And that's WITH a packet of buffer solution to calibrate the pH meter.

Latest posts

Back