Kolsch-single infusion or multi step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
Just checked my Wyeast Kolsch starter and it is good to go for brew day.

This is my first Kolsch all grain and I am wondering if there is that much of a difference from a single infusion mash at 151 degrees compared to using the multi step traditional mash of 122 degrees 20 minutes, beta rest 30 min, Alpah rest 30 minutes.

The grain bill is 9lbs german pilsner.

Just starting to heat water. What do you recommend?

I recommend a decoction mash. The modern German pils malts will convert just fine with a single temp. IMO a multi-step infusion won't add anything to the flavor of the beer so if you want to use more than one temperature stage I'd go the decoction route. Otherwise just stick to a single infusion. BTW if you do go multi-step start at ~130 rather than 122F.

I did a batch of Kolsch recently, all pilsner. I just did a regular single rest infusion at ~152 F. It went fine, I hit my gravity, bottled yesterday after a one week cold crash. Longer would be better, but It had been in primary for a month and I used poly-clar.
I'm sure your schedule would be fine, but probably not necessary.

Back