Zythos Pale Ale: where's the hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adc123

Reaction score
About a month ago I brewed this up:

Ingredients:
11*lb American 2-row
.75*lb Crystal 40
.75*lb Cara-Pils® Malt
.1*oz Zythos (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 50*m
1*oz Zythos (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
.5*tsp Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1*oz Zythos (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5*m
1.9*oz Zythos (10.9%) - hop stand. Cooled to 170-180F, added hops. Stood for 15 minutes, cooled to pitch.

Yeast: US-05.

I see alot of recipes for IPAs with less hops than this, but I get no where near the aroma and flavor I think I should be getting. Anyone else use this hop lately?

I actually brewed an ipa with this hop, using about 3.5 oz in the last 15 minutes of the boil, and dry hopped with 2 oz as well. I also was not impressed with the hop character. It just seemed to lack the fresh hop flavor that im used to with my other beers. I actually ended up dry hopping again in the keg in an effort to kick it up a notch. It did help a bit, but still ended up a bit bland. Ill try it again combined with something else....maybe some cascade or citra.....

You didn't dry hop? You won't get IPA aroma without a dry hop. Remember a lot of what you taste is dictated by your nose. Without the big ipa hop aroma you're perceived taste of the hops won't be what you wish it to be probably.

You didn't dry hop? You won't get IPA aroma without a dry hop. Remember a lot of what you taste is dictated by your nose. Without the big ipa hop aroma you're perceived taste of the hops won't be what you wish it to be probably.

+1 to that. I was experimenting with not dry hopping. I sound crazy, but my last few Pliny batches have been too grassy.

I attribute this to the dry hop, but I am not sure what it is yet. My first Pliny batch has like 3 oz for 2 weeks; clearly too much upon first sipping it, but its what the recipe called for. My second batch had about half the hops for half the time, but still had a grassy note that bothered me.

My only other thought to what caused the problem was my 90 minute pellet additions. Perhaps those contributed plant matter to the wort? They certainly made the beer way too bitter.

I actually brewed an ipa with this hop, using about 3.5 oz in the last 15 minutes of the boil, and dry hopped with 2 oz as well. I also was not impressed with the hop character. It just seemed to lack the fresh hop flavor that im used to with my other beers. I actually ended up dry hopping again in the keg in an effort to kick it up a notch. It did help a bit, but still ended up a bit bland. Ill try it again combined with something else....maybe some cascade or citra.....

Exactly. It has some of it, but no where near my expectation level. I am very curious to see what this blend is made of now...

Did an IPA with Zythos and the bittering wasn't bad however it had virtually no hop aroma. Thinking about a re-do and adding 4 oz to the dry hop schedule.

Back