My tiny hop harvest. How to use them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I harvested my first year hops this morning and only got 1.1 oz of centennial. That's the freshly picked weight, not dried. I want to get the most out of these little cones as I worked and waited so long for them. I have a 5 gal batch of Amber ale in the fermenter now that is very actively fermenting. I'm thinking that I should toss my wet green hops in there to get the most out of them but should I wait until active fermentation has slowed first? Should I chop up the cones first to get better exposure to the lupulin? any suggestions?

How many cones? 1.1 oz freshly picked isn't very much, and being first-year hops, in my experience you shouldn't expect much of them. I'd either add them to the secondary ("dry-hop"), or maybe save them and put a couple in a glass of beer! I just did that the other day, and it can add a new dimension to a beer. Very nice!

Tim

I harvested a whopping total of .3oz of Fuggles. Amazing how a decent pile of cones can be so light. I haven't figured out how to use them yet, and they probably won't impact any beer but I'm still using them.

Back