Help with stc1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfsack32

Reaction score
Ok to make this long story short I built a herms system, we'll building, anyway I want to use an stc 1000 to see my mash temp. But that's it, I don't need it to control anything else. My questionson are

1. Do i need to wire this thing up with an ssr

2. I tried wiring directly and all I get is EE and an alarm. I have tried 4 different probes and still same ee message. I'm lost here and not sure where else to go with it.

Thanks in advanced

To do what you describe you only need 120v and the temp sensor hooked up.

Have you checked that the temp sensor is wired to the right terminals?

Maybe you got a bad unit?

Ok to make this long story short I built a herms system, we'll building, anyway I want to use an stc 1000 to see my mash temp. But that's it, I don't need it to control anything else. My questionson are

1. Do i need to wire this thing up with an ssr

2. I tried wiring directly and all I get is EE and an alarm. I have tried 4 different probes and still same ee message. I'm lost here and not sure where else to go with it.

Thanks in advanced

one of these would be a better choice... the readout on the stc is celcius only and has a pretty slow refresh rate...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-56-F-C-12...id=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=391277108913

they make ac powered models too I believe..

Are you sure you have the correct terminals for the temp probe? you are using the probe type that came with the stc right? the EE is normal when the probe is not connected.

Thanks for the quick replies.
@rhumbline I almost certainever I have them correctly wired. I've tried 4 different probes and they all worked properly. (All 4 read between 10-12 on the meter )

@aggie doggy thank you for the suggestion on that meter. However I would like to stay away from ordering things from China if I can. I'm in a kinda of a hurry to get this build complete. But thanks for the suggestion

@aggiedoggy sorry I didn't see your complete message. Yes I tried 2 different probes that came with the stc (and back up one as well) and two different probes that came with my other two pids and all 4 read the same

@aggie doggy thank you for the suggestion on that meter. However I would like to stay away from ordering things from China if I can. I'm in a kinda of a hurry to get this build complete. But thanks for the suggestion

You could likely find one in the U.S. Although you'd pay more for it.

The STC-1000 should be pretty stand alone. I'm confused by the question about needing an SSR. You supply 120v, you connect the temp probe, done! If you're getting "EE" then it seems you're giving it the 120v so it's down to an issue with the way the probe is connected. Tug on each wire after it's connected to the STC to make sure they are clamped down where they are supposed to be.

@Gameface I wasn't sure if the stc needed an ssr to work properly. I'm pretty sure I have the probes connected properly. Tried both ways and still getting the EE.

All that is wired is the hot wire on the left and the neutral on the right. (First tworld from the left looking from behind)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=307946&stc=1&d=1444172479

1444172369046-1012762113.jpg

How are you hooking two temp sensors to this? Mine only has terminals for one, and the wiring diagrams I've been able to find are all single temp sensor units.

Is there a dual sensor model? I'd be interested in picking one up.

How are you hooking two temp sensors to this? Mine only has terminals for one, and the wiring diagrams I've been able to find are all single temp sensor units.

Is there a dual sensor model? I'd be interested in picking one up.

yes their are dual sensor models.. a lot of guys use them with the custom stc1000+ firmware.

All that is wired is the hot wire on the left and the neutral on the right. (First tworld from the left looking from behind)

to be clear, the stc is designed to give an EE error unless the sensor is wired up... the only way an ssr would be needed is if you are using the relay output wired to switch an ssr for a larger than 12 amp load.

and pid probes wont work... you need the specific type of thermocouple that the stc is programmed for.. You must have wired a few of these up already if you had a couple stc probes lying around since only 1 comes with the unit?

some stcs have three sensor terminals but the one farthest from the power terminals isnt connected to anything so thats one thing to check (you want to use the two terminals closest to the 120v input terminals to wire the sensor to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=307946&stc=1&d=1444172479

As others have said, i hope you realize you posted a picture with no sensor actually wired up? I only see power.

What sensors are you using by the way? Got a pic of those?

I haven't been as in touch lately with the community, so I apologize if I'm missing something... but the capacity of an STC-1000 is 10 amps. Unless you're using a 1000W heater, aren't you going to exceed the limit of the unit (being that a 1500W heater would be ~12 amps)?

I haven't been as in touch lately with the community, so I apologize if I'm missing something... but the capacity of an STC-1000 is 10 amps. Unless you're using a 1000W heater, aren't you going to exceed the limit of the unit (being that a 1500W heater would be ~12 amps)?

actually they appear to have changed them... my stc 1000s (a400p version) say 15a for 250v and 12a for 125v loads on the relays themselves so...
(and they screwed up and marked them 125v twice with the two ratings instead of the 250v/125v like some of them are marked... I have 3 opened stc1000s sitting here on my desk that I just flashed with the stc1000+ firmware for custom fermentation profiles and ramping capabilities...

Heres a pic of the mismarked relays as well as the terminal for the second temp probe (which is non functional on these because of a missing resister)

He isn't trying to drive anything with the stc from what I take from the OP. He just wants a temp readout.

OP, use the temp sensor that came with the stc. It doesn't matter which wire goes in which side of the temp sensor terminals. Just make sure they are both in separate terminals and they are snug. If you have power and a probe connected you are done as far as getting a temp reading is concerned.

He isn't trying to drive anything with the stc from what I take from the OP. He just wants a temp readout.

OP, use the temp sensor that came with the stc. It doesn't matter which wire goes in which side of the temp sensor terminals. Just make sure they are both in separate terminals and they are snug. If you have power and a probe connected you are done as far as getting a temp reading is concerned.

Oh I realize that but and it was mentioned to the op allready when he asked about an ssr. I was answering tungstens question since the OP has gone MIA since posting the photo with no sensor connected yesterday...

Sorry for not getting on and clearing things up. However problem is solved. Ended up being a bad unit. Happens, replaced and now with 3 spares she's good to go. But now for some reason my contractors are closing. Lol the struggles of cold weather. Thanks again for all the suggesting. Truly thankful

Back