Delayed Pitching of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed at my girlfriends tonight. It was a extract recipe. After cooling for a while I added the wort to 3 gallons of cool water in the fermenter, but it was not cold enough to bring the temps down to pitching temp. It was late so I decided I would just saran wrap over the top of the fermenter and wait until tomorrow. I had liquid yeast that I put back into the refrigerator after warming to room temp in preparation. I have two questions:

1) Is there a problem with putting the yeast back in refrigerator after having warmed it to room temp?

2) Do I need to do anything tomorrow to make sure the wort is oxygenated enough after sitting for so long? (just shake it up after I pitch?)

It is a hefe and I am using WLP380 Hefe IV

Hmm, after reading a bit, I also realized that my wort was probably pretty hot when I combined it with the cool water in the primary. I only cooled it for about 30 minutes with just tap water flowing around it in the sink. I think it was probably still over 100 deg. I transferred the wort by pouring into a funnel which makes it splash into the cool water. Do you think I will have a problem with Hot-side Aeration?

I delayed pitching for about 5 hours on Saturday night. I brewed up a tongue splitter from NB and after cooling I realized I left my water in my truck during the heat of the day. After combining in the fermetor the temp was above 80. I put the fermetor in a large 10 gallon bucket my wife has and added water around it with some ice. Very soon it had dropped sufficiently to pitch and it was rockin by the next morning. Biggest Krausen i have ever had on a beer.

I'm getting some more of those 10 gallon buckets from walmart soon as they are great for carrying around the carboy and cooling during summer with water in them. They also fit under the counter where my fermetors live.

Back