How a carboy's capacity measure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
If I have a 6.5 gal carboy, then with 6.5 gal of liquid it'll fill the bottle fully full (all the way to the bottle's mouth), or up to the bottle's neck only? Thanks.

It wasn't exactly figured out in that thread, due to the variations in carboys from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I haven't done it yet, but I am going to use my bottling bucket (which has markings on it to show the volume) to measure out various amounts of water, run that water into my carboys, and mark the outside of it with a permanent marker.

-wakjer

Another useful way to do this (works with the brewpot, or whatever, too) is to make a stick which can be set on the floor next to the carboy (or in the brewpot) and mark the levels corresponding to 1/2 gallons or whatever you need.

Just make sure you keep track of which stick corresponds with which container. This is more accurate than marking the outside of the brewpot, and you don't have to worry about it coming off the carboy the way permanent marker eventually does.

calman said:
If I have a 6.5 gal carboy, then with 6.5 gal of liquid it'll fill the bottle fully full (all the way to the bottle's mouth), or up to the bottle's neck only? Thanks.
I haven't measured all the way to the top, but I'm sure a 6.5 gallon carboy will hold at least 7 gallons, and probably a little more.

I always messure out 5 gal (b/c thisis the batch size i aways do) on the side of the carboy. I'm also able to do this b/c i only do 3 gal boils as of right now!

my six and a half gallon carboy holds more than six and one half. it's right up to where it starts to curve to the top.. same with my six gallon and five gallon, full up seems to be about half gallon or more.

t1master said:
my six and a half gallon carboy holds more than six and one half. it's right up to where it starts to curve to the top.. same with my six gallon and five gallon, full up seems to be about half gallon or more.

I tried last night and got that: 6.5 gal holds 7.2 gal if fill all the way. 5 gal bucket hold 7 gals.

Back