Starter - Type of DME Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
If you are making a wheat beer do you need to use wheat DME for a starter? Will any "off" flavors be added if you use non-wheat DME?

You could use any DME, as the small proportions won't have any affect on flavor.

I wouldn't use DME period, though. Use dextrose. More cleanly and thoroughly fermenting. I used Laaglander DME to prime a couple wheat beers I made earlier in the summer, and neither of them carbonated. Had to go back, open each bottle, drop in carb tabs, then recap. It sucked majorly.

Use dextrose. You won't be sorry.

EDIT: I'm retarded today. Really really busy on a deadline and trying to comment on HBT at the same time. You said starter, I read bottling. SORRY.

In the new light of my retardedness, I say that it really doesn't matter...wheat or regular DME. I guess if it's a REALLY bug starter AND you're not decanting the liquid off before pitching, then I'd use wheat if you had it. Otherwise...probably doesn't matter.

It really shouldn't make much difference seeing as how the entore contents of your starter are a faitly small portion of the brew as a whole.

Latest posts

Back