Aerating Hot Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
Me and a buddy brew together and combined our two immersion wort chillers with more tubing, such that the water line goes through the first chiller submerged in an ice bucket, and the second chiller is in the wort.

This has worked very well, and we sometimes shake the chillers around to allow for faster heat transfer and even quicker cooling. However when you shake the chiller in the wort, it does tend to aerate it quite a bit.

I figured this is a good thing for yeast once you reach a certain temperature, but is it detrimental to the beer while the wort is still 150 degrees and above?

I will say that our first beer using this method turned out fine, but we kicked it relatively quickly so I don't know if things would have changed with aging.

I slosh the frick out of my wort chiller while I'm using it, it's a good way to start getting oxygen back into your wort for the yeasties to east.....'

Don't worry about it. It's one of those new brewer boogiemen.

Awesome.

I definitely enjoy anything that makes the brew day go by a little quicker... and the shaking of the wort chiller during cooling, along with shaking the carboy to aerate is a good workout that earns you those couple of beers you drink while brewing! :mug:

Back