novice kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billynoah

Reaction score
hello all.. posted this in the cyder forum and someone suggested reposting it here...

i recently purchased the equipment needed to embark on the road to kegging & force carbonating my cyder and i have a couple questions i'm hoping some of you more experienced than i can help me on:

a) after cyder has been force carbonated can it be stored and/or aged indefinitely as in the carboy? another brewer told me that it would become oxidized if stored too long after carbonating - but this makes no sense to me since it is only CO2 and no oxygen present...

b) after force carbonating is it ok for the cyder to be stored at room temperature?

c) can cyder be bottled after force carbonating and will it keep it's carbonation through the bottling process?

any other help or suggestions about long term storage before or after kegging would be appreciated. up until now i just ferment it, leave it in the carboy indefinitely (usually about 6 months to a year) and then bottle & drink when needed. this seems to work fine and i've left some batches for over a year which only seems to improve to end product. basically i'm trying to intergrate this store & drink when needed idea into the kegging system but i'm not sure how to go about it... i like the carbonated cyder but i don't want to necessarily go and carbonate it on the fly. also, i enjoy cyder at room temperature so that's why i am asking about serving and storing at room temperature after carbonating.

thanks!

-billy

To answer your questions

A. As long as you have no leaks in your keg, yes it will last.

B. Yes it is ok to store at room temp. I have done this multiple times.

C. Yes you can bottle from the keg. Checkout the we need no stinking beergun thread.

As far as serving at room temp, Co2 comes out of solution at higher temps so it might be hard to keep the cider carbd. Hope this helps

:mug:

Back