stirred yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike

Reaction score
I stirred my yeast instead of just sprinkling it on top , will it still work alright ?:confused:

Stirred it into what? Did you pour it into your primary then stir everything, or do you mean you rehydrated your yeast by stirring in some water? Either way, you will be fine...I was just curious on your methods.

I dump my yeast in all the time, then shake the primary. I'm not sure why they say to "sprinkle".

Stirring it in is fine. The stirring actually help to aerate the wort. It is better to rehydrate your yeast before pitching, but I have had fine results dumping it directly in and stirring vigorously.

One of the ways recommended methods of dry yeast pitching from one of the manufacturers, (which is also the way I do it) is to sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort, wait 15 minutes (which lets the yeast rehydrate) and then give it a stir with a sanitised spoon. I usually just skip the stirring with the spoon part and give the fermenter a swirl.

Back