Golden dragon OG problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
So I just brewed the golden dragon extract kit from NB this is my fifth time brewing iv alway had no problem hitting the OG right on target but when I took a hydrometer reading I was at about 1.040 when I suppose to be at 1.092 that's a big difference and I followed the directions right on. It has a extra candy addition at high foam but why is OG so low will the addition bust the OG. One thing I messed up was I pitched the yeast then took a reading I also forced aerated for 20 min if that matter anyone have some idea pleas help.

Unless there was a problem with the amount of extract in your kit, your most likely problem is a broken hydrometer. Test it in water to make sure it's reading 1.000. Pitching and aeration are not a factor.

I assume you are sure your final volume is 5 gallons. Adding too much top-off water is another possibility but unlikely if you followed directions.

I know both of these possibilities may sound like an insult to your intelligence but you'll be surprised how often these things come up. Small cracks in the hydrometer can be hard to see and if you RDWHAHB as much as I do, adding the wrong amount of top off water is not out of the question (not that I've done that, I only make really dumb mistakes).

In an extract recipe, it is really difficult not to get the right OG. The most probable explanation is that it is not all mixed well, and a lot of the extract is at the bottom of the fermenter. If this is the case, don't worry, the yeast will still find it and mix it all up.

Well I took the reading right after I pitched the yeast and it was a big starter about a 750 ml. So I think I sucked up all the starter in the beer thief because I never mixed it after pitching bc the start had a OG of 1.040 the same reading I got.

In an extract recipe, it is really difficult not to get the right OG. The most probable explanation is that it is not all mixed well, and a lot of the extract is at the bottom of the fermenter. If this is the case, don't worry, the yeast will still find it and mix it all up.

This for sure is normally the issue, but I think you caught your own issue by sucking up for your starter. If its extract, and the kit was put together by NB, and you topped up accordingly, you can guarantee the OG was and is right. I don't take OG readings for extract anymore. I take FG just to know where its at, but OG largely seems to be pointless.

Latest posts

Back