Little White Specks in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemdalaclem

Reaction score
Made an extract clone of Harpoon IPA. Sat in the primary for a week, then moved to secondary. A day after I transferred it, i noticed a clump of white specks in the center of the surface of the beer. They are roughly 1-2 mm in diameter with what appears to be a tiny black pinhole in the middle. Figured it to be bubbles. However, a week later, the specks have multiplied... theres roughly about three dozen now. What are they?

Not worrying, but curious.

I did some searches on the forum before posting and hadn't found any stories/pictures that fix my description exactly...sorry if i'm running over old ground. Thanks for any help. pic:

168stcg.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture but its most likely just some yeast. I wouldn’t worry. Even if it spreads just be careful when you rack it and try not to disturb the top layer as much as possible and let an inch or so of beer behind when you bottle so you don’t suck up the floaters. :mug:

Your batch is WRECKED.

Totally kidding. I did have them and was worried as hell about them. They looked like little eyes to me, but the beer turned out to be great and uninfected. I've learned not to be quite as alarmed during fermentation, as there'll be all sorts of questionable/ugly/scary things popping up on the surface during the ferm process.

Give it some time and see what happens, but I did have the exact same situation and it turned out to be nothing. You're not at all wrong for questioning it, though; in fact, you did the right thing. (I'd done precisely the same thing.)

Best of luck with your brew.
Nige

Yeah, not the best picture, tough to get a clear image haha. But thanks for your help, the both of you. Little eyes are right, nige. Skeeved me out a little is all. You're right that fermentation is ugly..better to know the good kind of ugly now so I dont get worried the next time i see something out of the "ordinary." Thanks again.

Back