My friend made a video of my brewing. It looks sweet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salamastre

Reaction score
I hope it is ok to post this kind of thing here.

I had a couple of friends over this Saturday to brew the Surly Bender clone. One is a homebrewer, the other is just getting into video production and editing. He brought his new camera to do some filming and then went home to play with his editing software. Last night he uploaded this video.

The cameraman is only familiar with the "drinking salamastre's hombrew" part of the brewing process, try to spot the mistakes :)

The day went very smoothly, I just overshot O.G., from 1.060 to 1.066. I will call it the Surly Stronger Bender.

The same carboy 12 hours later:

Last edited by a moderator:
Active fermentation vid needs epic music and slow motion action! Great vid guys.

That's actually one of the better brewing vids I've seen. His minor mistakes are hardly noticeable.

Thanks a lot for the compliments.

We actually find the mistakes very funny, they perfectly capture the spirit of that particular brew session.

We had some awesome beers (I Hardcore You, Monk's Brew, Calabaza Blanca, one from BR. De Ranke, and homebrewed ESB) and got a perfect buzz going.

I will try to get Sergio more interested in homebrewing, I'd love to make some more videos.

Very nice! I dig the postal service cover dubbed over it...really fits well with the RDWHAHB theme I think...pretty laid back :)

Very nice video. What song is in the background?

funny we posted at roughly the same time, both about the song :D

The original song is "Such Great Heights" by the Postal Service, it's an instrumental cover by the Section Quartet it seems.

Thanks again.

The racking from the grain bag wrapped chiller thing is an independent discovery. I came here very excited to post about it and found many posts mentioning the trick.

I am responsible for the brewing, this is batch #20 or so for me. Sergio is responsible for filming, editing, adding the titles and selecting the music. He also gets credit for creatively interpreting what he got on film.

I have never been more nervous brewing, not even the first time. Sergio I could fool, but Kasey has brewed before. He kept me honest.

For a first outing I would say the video is awesome. It would be cool to see his fifth try or so. Having watched what I believe to be every brewing video obtainable on the net I like to see one that's more modern. When y'all get a chance you should do an instructional video. Great job.

Love the video.
Scared the crap out of me watching you shake that carboy on the chair.

Funny thing about carboys. Growing up in Mexico we got drinking water delivered to our house in 20 liter glass carboys just like that. We learned to handle them at a young age and have never been too scared of them. In 12 or so years that I can remember, only one broke, and it was totally not my fault. They switched to PET carboys in the 90s and water never tasted the same.

We made kool-aid just like in the video, put a dish towel on a chair, the carboy on that and shake like possessed.

We also got milk delivered in 1 liter thick glass bottles and twice a week you could leave empty Coca Cola and Sprite bottles on the curb and the delivery truck would swap full ones. Even now, when you buy bottled beers you pay a deposit for the bottles, and you get it back when you bring them back.

Any self respecting college student has a few cases of empties from different breweries and a trunk full of 1 liter bottles (Caguamas).

That's some fantastic stuff right there. Give your video guy a brewing tutorial and I think you're ready for the Discovery Channel.

;)

I hope it is ok to post this kind of thing here.

I had a couple of friends over this Saturday to brew the Surly Bender clone. One is a homebrewer, the other is just getting into video production and editing. He brought his new camera to do some filming and then went home to play with his editing software. Last night he uploaded this video.

The cameraman is only familiar with the "drinking salamastre's hombrew" part of the brewing process, try to spot the mistakes :)

Do you know what kind of camera he used to film that?

Do you know what kind of camera he used to film that?

Hi, I'm salamastre's videographer friend (thanks for all the compliments, guys! I'm glad you liked it!).

I used a Nikon D90 with a 17-55mm zoom lens. It was set to 2.8f for most of the shots. We didn't have any extra lighting (though salamastre has a nice apartment with big windows).

We also had a tripod, which saw less use the more drunk we got. You can see in the later shots that I used iMovie's stabilization heavily (that's why they look distortion-y sometimes, like around the 2 minute mark). Feel free to ask me any technical details.

This is my first time playing with video (photography is more my thing), but we had tons of fun doing this, and we're thinking of making a sequel with better infographics and more strict process. Thanks!

That is a fantastic video! Aside from the misnomers (which aren't really a big deal, just shows the video was made by a non-brewer) is was well done! Incredibly crisp, good angles and well put together.

Also, beer is yeast poop (I think.) :D :D

Hi, I'm salamastre's videographer friend (thanks for all the compliments, guys! I'm glad you liked it!).

I used a Nikon D90 with a 17-55mm zoom lens. It was set to 2.8f for most of the shots. We didn't have any extra lighting (though salamastre has a nice apartment with big windows).

We also had a tripod, which saw less use the more drunk we got. You can see in the later shots that I used iMovie's stabilization heavily (that's why they look distortion-y sometimes, like around the 2 minute mark). Feel free to ask me any technical details.

This is my first time playing with video (photography is more my thing), but we had tons of fun doing this, and we're thinking of making a sequel with better infographics and more strict process. Thanks!

I think it turned out great. I don't know if you could ask for better natural lighting indoors. Excellent choice on the Postal Service instrumental.

Back