Spread sheet help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKing

Reaction score
After reading for days I think I have the water, salt additions, Etc.
kind of figured out.
The questions I have are about water volumes in the spread sheets. I've been playing with EZ water calculater and Bru'n water.
1- They ask for mash thickness, I use 1.3 Qts. per LB But I have 8 Qts of foundation water which gives me around 1.67 Qt/Lb. which should I use?
I'm guessing 1.67.
2- For sparge additions (which go in boiler) do they want the ammount of sparge water it takes to get to preboil volume (after initial strike water and grain absorbtion)?
I hope I made my questions clear as I'm sure I'll have more!
Thanks in advance R.K.

This answer deals with Bru'n Water only.

With regard to the mash thickness issue, you do have to use the total water volume in the mash tun which includes any foundation water. This is because we are computing the total alkalinity provided by the water and comparing it to the total acidity provided by the malt.

With regard to the Sparge volume, that is whatever volume you'll be using in addition to the mash runoff volume to reach your preboil kettle volume.

Back