New Notty packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
I saw in the recent Zymurgy that Windsor has new packing for their yeast, which of course includes Notty.

Is the jury out on this? Can I now officially trust Notty again?

I'm not trying to start a flamewar, and its worth being said that I used to love Notty before 2 major probs in about a year. But if brewing on a budget means that I need to spend an extra buck on a packet of US over Notty, then I'm going to do it to avoid having to dump a batch.

I used to love Notty, and would be happy as hell to be able to return to it, but I'd love to hear some opinons from other brewers.

What say you? Can I trust Notty again?

Well I've just brewed a batch and it has some serious yeasty, doughy flavours. Quite unpleasent. Could have just been and old pack though.

I just used notty on an ipa and it did the same old notty stuff as attenuating far far. It was a 1.063 og and I mashed at 152 it took it down to 1.006. Seems like the same old notty to me.

I personally think those that get off flavors are just fermenting it too high in the temp range. You can practically lager with Notty and it still ferments crazy fast.

First time using it. Bought because it was $1.90 vs. $4.00 for US-05 which I normally use. I like the packaging, you know that it is not compromised because of how it is vac sealed. Took off within 12-24 hours and is going nicely @ 61F.

I am kind of new at home brewing and I have used it once. Fermented fast and did a good job for me. From my limited experience though, I am leaning towards the Fermentis products. They make a nice, tight yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter and stick to the bottom of the bottles like glue. I don't even worry about getting yeast in the glass when I pour. Notty looks like cow snot on the bottom of the fermenter and I had a lot of floaties in the bottles.

I'm curious as well, I want to brew an oatmeal stout tonight and want to use Nottingham for the first time. I was reading the manufacturers website, and it says...

"Nottingham British Ale yeast has been conditioned to survive re-hydration. The yeast contains an adequate reservoir of carboydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary to aearte wort."

You don't have to aerate Nottingham??? Nottingham British Ale is the same thing as Danstar Nottingham, right??

Back