Brewing for Charity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, my uncle had a party last night (I guess teachers can have partys on Mondays during the summer to piss us off!) and they all were sampling my beer, and it went over well!

I mentioned an idea I had a while ago, the local schools do silent auctions for one thing or another....why not put a brew session up?

my basic thing Is I like making beer! and I couldn't possibly drink all I desire to make.... so this would be an excuse to make more :D

I just tossed out $250 as a price to begin bidding at and a couple seemed to think that was quite reasonable, what do you all think?

I would formulate a recipe (ask people on HBT to make sure its ok) take someone through the brewing process (or not if they didnt care) and then give them their own 5 gallon batch of custom designed beer! (no lagers)

Am i crazy? Is $250 a reasonable charity asking price? Is it legal to recoup my expenses? any other feedback?

I would start the bidding lower (maybe $50 tops) and if it gets up to $250, all the better. If it was truly for charity and not just a free brew session for you, you would eat the expense of the grain/hops/yeast/gas and be happy. That should eliminate any legal worries about selling beer.

Sounds reasonable and perfectly legit to me; I've often thought of doing the same for a charity organization. I've done it as a fundraiser for my rugby club in the past, and it wound up pulling in around $175, IIRC. If there's a sticky wicket, it's the association with the school - but I think that's bullocks anyhow.

$50 seems like a reasonable opening bid.

I think it would be fine, but as said you should pay for the expenses yourself. If it goes for $50 and you make an IIPA...

that's my only concern! what if someone wants to make an RIS or something :D

You can always make a list of styles they can make that they can choose from. If somebody is cool enough to want to brew a IIPA or RIS, I'm sure they will throw you a few extra bucks to help cover the costs

that's my only concern! what if someone wants to make an RIS or something :D

Then limit their options (and the impact to your wallet!) by offering some mid-gravity, balanced choices that will have broad appeal.

APA, American Brown, AAA, Bitter, Cream Ale, Koelsch come to mind.

Can you do this legally? I'd like to consider this myself, but not sure how it would be received by the authorities. I'm technically giving away my beer, and there are limits.

you could always just pre-pick the style (say one of AHB's 50cent beers) and not give them that much of a choice. The real price is going to come from bottling, since you'd have to 'donate' 50 bottles to the cause.

Another idea, you could give them a 'budget' of $30 to spend on a kit, and they provide the rest if they want a different style.

As for the legality of it, as long as the person can legal drink, you're not selling them anything, you're providing a service (making wort) and then let them pitch the yeast (similair to the old Utah brew on premise rules). At least that's how I see it, but then again I am 2 strong ales in already, so it might be a bit cloudy.

Or, just give them 25 bottles of it so you get some too:). I'm assuming you'll take control until it's in bottles after the brew day and give it to them after you bottle it?

I have given brew demonstrations(trying to promote interest in homebrewing) and I have brewed for a charity cause before. They sold samples (4-6 oz for $1 each). I was pleased that I was able to donate to a worthy non profit cause, and my keg floated in 4-5 hours from PAYING customers. Come to think about it that beer donated twice because the hops used were purchased at auction for charity. :)

claphamsa check your state laws, our out of state opinions don't count.
Donating a home brew for a good cause is a good idea, but your state could have different ideas.
I am currently reading the different states home brewing laws and the magic sentence "It may only be used for home consumption and the personal use of the consumer." pops up.

Michigan example.
Statute:
Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 436, Act 58 of 1998, Chapter 2, Section 436.1207, creates an exception to the Michigan Liquor Control Code for home manufacture of beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider and allows for gifting of such beverages of up-to 20 gallons per year.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You may have to do as we do.
All money goes to charity, you
don't recoup cost but write off
your receipts.

claphamsa check your state laws, our out of state opinions don't count.
Donating a home brew for a good cause is a good idea, but your state could have different ideas.
I am currently reading the different states home brewing laws and the magic sentence "It may only be used for home consumption and the personal use of the consumer." pops up.

Michigan example.
Statute:
Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 436, Act 58 of 1998, Chapter 2, Section 436.1207, creates an exception to the Michigan Liquor Control Code for home manufacture of beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider and allows for gifting of such beverages of up-to 20 gallons per year.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

good point!

where would yalls check something like this? I do know MD has some pretty ridiculous liquor laws...

Back