lager yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
I am making a starter from a yeast washing. White labs 830.
Does this look ok??? It overflowed last night..I see two layers. I used 100 ml dme per 800 of water. How do I tell if I have enough yeast?

ForumRunner_20121225_120551.png

It looks fine to me. After a few days I would cold crash it for 12-24 hours before pitching time and decant the supernatant, and just pitch the yeast slurry. Use an online yest calculator to find out how much you need. For a typical 5 gallon lager I'm going to say that you need a bigger starter. You can cold crash your starter after a few days and decant like above, but instead of pitching, pour more boiled and chilled starter wort on top of the yeast slurry, and let it grow again for a few more days.

ok great, this is my first starter from saved yeast so not sure how it looks. I see two layers...

will let it settle and make another starter for it...

it really foamed up last night about 2 hours after i put it in... but now not as much foam when i shake it...

Back