how much pumpkin and spices for my honey oatmeal cream stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dareibreathe

Reaction score
So I made a Honey oatmeal cream stout a couple months ago and it was the best beer i've brewed so far. I decided I wanted to brew it again but this time with pumpkin for a nice fall beer. I've searched a couple forums about how and when to add the pumpkin and spices, but not for a stout. Also with this being a honey oatmeal cream stout I think that the pumpkin and spice flavor might get masked if I just put the normal amount of spices in. Any suggestions on when and how much pumpkin and spices would be greatly appreciated. I planned on using canned organic pumpkin purree because I cant get real pumpkins right now. Here is the recipe I will use:

6.6 lbs dark malt syrup
1 pint honey
1 lb flaked oatmeal
4 oz lactose
8 oz 40L crystal malt
8 oz 60L crystal malt
8 oz roasted barley
8 oz chocolate malt
2 oz black patent malt
1 oz columbus hops
Wyeast #1084

That seems like way too much going on in one beer. Keep it simple. Brew the original if you like it and brew another pumpkin beer if you want that. I would not try to make a kitchen sink beer. Go with one flavor at a time.

I am brewing a PM pumpkin oatmeal stout, probably tomorrow. Likewise I have done a big search and it is hard to really pin down the right spice combo. I am leaning only 29oz of canned pumpkin in the mash-broiling before (unclear if it matters because it is already cooked, but might as well). Figure not a whole lot of flavor is coming from the pumpkin itself, and don't want too much gumming up my partial mash-plus not going to get any color contribution either.

Was leaning toward putting 1tsp-1Tbs of cinnamon at 60-I read in one of the threads that cinnamon can give you some degree of bitterness. I was thinking at least 1Tbs pumpkin spice at 5min. Could possibly go up on that a tiny bit, maybe a little more at flame out too, but don't want to overdo it. Would love some feedback from others who have tried-most of the threads are all over the place on spice recs.

Yeah I agree, lactose, honey, oatmeal, pumpkin, and spice? That's a lot of stuff. Pumpkin beers work well with a medium bodied beer as the base. Might be good in a stout as well (I've never tried) but I'd at the very least leave out the lactose and the honey.

overall I would agree that all that sounds like way too much going on-but dareibreathe did say that the honey oatmeal cream stout was the best beer hes brewed. So maybe keep pushing the envelope and try this extreme beer. You will impress non-beer drinkers by name alone.

Back