holy beer bombs batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So there I was no kidding true story minding my own business... getting ready to bottle my next batch (arrogant bastard clone) and some of my last brew (english bitter bottled in mid june) done blowed up. The first one was in the closet, I moved the case into the sink, when the next one blew up, sending shards 15-20 ft, and swmbo running. I got the cooler out and put the rest of the bottles in it and 4 more when klabooew. I heard two of them pop all the way in the garage.
So now what? The beer had an off flavor kinda lemony/ medicianal. I didn't like it but swmbo's brother in law liked them. I was hoping they would clean up, and taste better over time, but it aint happened yet. Most of them have a lot of particulate matter in the bottom, more yeast than normal. (OG and FG were spot on).
Do I dump them or wait it out...
thanks

If you plan on drinking them, keep them cold.

If you plan on disposing, get them cold and then open carefully. Seriously, gloves eye protection, and keep the damn things pointed away from you.

Two more just blew up in the cooler. We moved it into the garage. I was thinking about popping the tops and saving the bottles, but they aren't worth the risk.
MckBrew where in Silverdale are you? I graduated from CKHS in 95. Folks still live off Anderson. Do you have any of the recipes for SilverCity? FatBastard or /whoopass would be awesome.
thanks
capn

I live on Bangor. I don't have any Silver City recipes, and don't spend as much time there as I should, but I do know one of the brewers who just started working there so I might be able to help out with recipes in the future. They make some kickA$$ beer.

I would make sure it is shut tight, put it in the sun for a couple hours, and then shake it. But I love listening to stuff blow up. :)

I like things that go boom too.... I have the cooler in the garage with a lawn chair on top. I think I'll wait for a really hot day to see how many I can blow up...
We cleaned the kitchen and found glass shards in the plants 22 ft away. (21' 10" I pulled out the tape measure.)
fricking olympic record... when I check them I think Ill put on safety goggles, instead of beer goggles.

I can't help but thinking this is incredibly dangerous and someone is going to get hurt. Bottle bombs scare the shi!t out of me.

Back