Stainless steel for mlt and mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigCatBrewery

Reaction score
This popped on Craigslist near me, and while I haven't made the jump to AG, I know it is in my future. I was planning on going the cooler route ... But don't want to miss an opportunity at something better. But how would these hold heat? I can conceive of using one for a brew pot, but the idea of holding 160-170 seems impractical in such a vessel. Thoughts?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/3573657286.html

If you plan to use a simple infusion system, without direct fire or an electrical element, the cooler will hold temperature much better than a steel pot will.

If you were to use a stainless vessel for a mash tun you would need to be able to temperature control it either electrically or directly fired. Over an hour it would loose to much heat imo.

That's what I assumed. I had my anticipated route into AG via cooler mash tun figured out, but the upper levels are still (intentionally) clouded in mystery. Except now I know that people use continuous and moderated heat ...

Ignorance was bliss. Thanks gents.

Back