Question aboubt Wyeast Activator Pouch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I assumed that I could just pitch it after I broke the inner sac and let it expand. But the instructions say I have to make a starter. Is that necessary? Im brewing an ESB around 5.5% alcohol.

You do not have to make a starter unless the yeast is old. If you can you should. It is easy and you will start fermenting a lot faster, plus, you will know that the yeast is living before you brew.

I've only used White Labs, but I've yet to make a starter and have still had success. You should be able to pitch directly into your wort.

That said, everyone recommends starters and I plan to begin using them starting with my next batch.

If you have the 125ml pack, a starter is not necessary for beers with an O.G. of 1.065 or under. I can say from personal experience that I've had excellent results and short lag times when I aerate well and pitch drectly from the swollen smack pack into 5 gallons of wort. Never hurts to make a starter though.

You won't need luck, the hard part is patience.
I recommend starting another batch while this one is fermenting so you won’t be tempted to meddle with the first batch.

Also, it means more homebrew sooner. :D

Back