oxidized beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuzle

Reaction score
hey all,
i just brewed a deliciously hoppy IPA 10 gallon batch, and for the tertiary fermentation i transferred it into 2 5 gallon carboys. the first carboy got a lot of foam on the top and i'm guessing was quite oxidized. the other carboy didnt get any bubbles in it, and should be fine. i am not too worried about the oxidized carboy... but i want to bottle each 5 gallons seperately (one of them soon and the other after more time [2 or 3 more weeks] in the carboy), and i'm just wondering which would be better to bottle first. should i bottle the oxidized carboy first to minimize the time with oxygen contact, or should i bottle the oxidized batch last to give it more time to mellow out any oxidation?

any logical advice is much appreciated!

Bottle and drink the oxydized one first (although I'm not sure your assessment that foam=oxydization is necessarily true). Oxydization will affect beer more the longer it lasts, which is why it is usually no big deal compared to, say, wine or mead. I'd be interested to see if you can taste any difference. Keep us posted.

Cheers! :D

Janx said:
Bottle and drink the oxydized one first (although I'm not sure your assessment that foam=oxydization is necessarily true). Oxydization will affect beer more the longer it lasts, which is why it is usually no big deal compared to, say, wine or mead. I'd be interested to see if you can taste any difference. Keep us posted.

Cheers! :D
thats what i was thinking too... i guess i am assuming it's more oxydized because when i was racking i was letting the beer fall about a foot from the tube to the carboy, and this was creating a lot of foam. i've been told that is oxydation and you dont want to let that happen. for the second carboy i put the carboy up on a chair so that the tube could reach the bottom of the carboy.

Back