Diluting a 5gal batch into 10gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovineblitz

Reaction score
So I got the idea to make an easy drinking cascade cream ale for the summer and I expect to greatly enjoy it... so I got another idea which was to brew up 10 gallons of it instead of 5! I know a lot of you are probably thinking "duh just do a 10 gallon batch", but I'm a stovetop AG brewer with an 8gal pot, the biggest batch I can pull off is 6 gallons.

Here's the original recipe

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 2.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.8 IBU

6.50 lb - Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) - Grain - 81.3 %
1.00 lb - Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) - Grain - 12.5 %
0.20 oz - Nugget [11.50%] (60 min) - Hops - 9.1 IBU
0.50 oz - Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) - Hops - 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz - Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) - Hops - 2.2 IBU
1.00 oz - Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) - Hops
0.50 lb - Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) - Sugar - 6.3 %

I'm thinking double everything, rack to two fermenters (stirring the whole time to be sure the wort is the same between the two batches), dilute up to 5gal with water, then maybe dryhop differently for fun.

Do you see any holes in this plan?

Nope. I don't see a problem with it.

One of my friends recently tried this with a low gravity beer that he makes very frequently and was pleased with the results.

well... what my friend did was a little different. he brewed and fermented it as one batch and didn't dilute it until it was time to keg it.

Oh I like this idea even better... if I just dilute it at bottling I can stick to just one fermenter which is helpful when you're an apartment brewer.

Oh I like this idea even better... if I just dilute it at bottling I can stick to just one fermenter which is helpful when you're an apartment brewer.

Yup. my friend is not an apartment brewer, but goes through a lot of that particular beer. his goal was to keep it from taking up so many fermenters so he could brew other things,too.

Latest posts

Back