New to everything, harvest, crush, fermet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetmaxx

Reaction score
Ok, so i've read a bit, and it has lead to a ton of questions, but I'll just ask a few... long time beer brewer, first time (hopefully) wine maker. I have some grapes growing on my back fence, from the nieghbors. they are small, green variety of grape. they have been sour, but recently have sweetened, and from years past i know they will be gone shortly due to criters and drying out like raisins.

WHen should I pick them?

I assume green grapes make white wine? SO do I use the natural yeast on the skin or pitch?

How many pounds of grapes will make a gallon of wine?

From there I think I can figure out how to make this stuff in to wine, but any further tips/suggestions are welcome, including links!!

thetmaxx said:
Ok, so i've read a bit, and it has lead to a ton of questions, but I'll just ask a few... long time beer brewer, first time (hopefully) wine maker. I have some grapes growing on my back fence, from the nieghbors. they are small, green variety of grape. they have been sour, but recently have sweetened, and from years past i know they will be gone shortly due to criters and drying out like raisins.

WHen should I pick them?

I assume green grapes make white wine? SO do I use the natural yeast on the skin or pitch?

How many pounds of grapes will make a gallon of wine?

From there I think I can figure out how to make this stuff in to wine, but any further tips/suggestions are welcome, including links!!

I am not a vintner but I'd pick them in bunches before any animals get to them. Make sure they are sweet when you pick them.

You'll need 10-12 lbs for a gallon, so a scale will be useful.

Depending on the volume you get, you could crush the grapes by hand to juice them or rent a crusher.

You could use the wild yeast, but it will dictate the quality of your wine. I would spend a buck and buy a package of wine yeast.

Back