Help With New Dell Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I got my daughter a new Dell laptop today. I started to get all the crap that they put on off of it (like AOL and Mcafee). My question is that when I open the IE, I automatically get a second tab that opens as "Dell Support". It just annoys me...so how can I get rid of it? I can't find a way under the organize favorites tab. Second, anyone have suggestions for a new computer as far as what to remove to optimize? I got ad-aware, avast, and apyware killer. Now I need to gert rid of the junk. Thanks, fellow geeks!

The first thing I would do is go to Add and Remove Programs to get rid of all the stuff you do not want. Then I would go to msconfig and remove all the garbage that starts when the computer boots. That will help a lot. To get to msconfig go to Run>type msconfig and it will bring up a dialog box. Check the StartUp tab to find out what programs are running. Remove excess. If you are not sure which to remove a Google search will help identify the program. This is my experience with XP. I guess all this stuff is in Vista, I have never used it.

Tools>Internet options> then delete the Dell home page from the list. Under the latest IE you can add multiple pages opening in different tabs by listing them all with thier own line.

Depending on the age of your daughter, or your beliefs on privacy, trust, and view of the world, I would install a key logger or at least imply that you did.

olllllo said:
Depending on the age of your daughter, or your beliefs on privacy, trust, and view of the world, I would install a key logger or at least imply that you did.

I am assuming that you mean a program that tracks key strokes? Great idea...and thanks for the others, guys! Huge help.

highjack this is great. Google it and download. Then you'll want to tweak your pagefile as the default settings just make no sense.

Blender said:
The first thing I would do is go to Add and Remove Programs to get rid of all the stuff you do not want. Then I would go to msconfig and remove all the garbage that starts when the computer boots. That will help a lot. To get to msconfig go to Run>type msconfig and it will bring up a dialog box. Check the StartUp tab to find out what programs are running. Remove excess. If you are not sure which to remove a Google search will help identify the program. This is my experience with XP. I guess all this stuff is in Vista, I have never used it.

As well as that, there are a lot of services you can turn off. Go to www.blackviper.com for a list of EVERY windows service, along with a description of the service, and whether or not its safe to turn off...

No, wait. First go get a copy of PC Decrapifier. This shoudl strip that machine of all the annoying bull****.

Personally, i wouldn't suggest using IE at all. Download Firefox and for antivirus the free program called Antivir. Save your selves a lot of guff.

I 2nd the Firefox mention. IE is nothing but trouble and has problems reading certain html tag attributes.

Fdisk works best for stripping out all that crap. I then partition the drive so I have a second logical :D for data. I then install the OS fresh and only the apps I use, sans bullcrap. Then I make a snapshot image of it and store it on the data drive with a copy on a CD or DVD. 6 months later when the system slows to a crawl from all the spyware, adware, and registry bloat, I reinstall the image. Data remains on Drive D, so life is good and the system is clean again.

Kayos said:
I am assuming that you mean a program that tracks key strokes? Great idea...and thanks for the others, guys! Huge help.

If you go this route, I can reccomend eBlaster by Spectorsoft. You can configure it to email you a report of her online activity. It runs invisible in the background and unless shes a computer genious, she will never know it is there. Only issue is if you use McAfee antivirus (at least this is the case with the Enterprise version of McAfee), you will need to disable the buffer overlfow option in McAfee configuration otherwise it will slow the computer to a crawl.

Latest posts

Back