Don't cut corners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmmmbeer

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 2 years now and never worried about a yeast nutrient and always just did a raisen boil "yeast nutrient" for the higher alc./wines. It has always worked fine for me but a couple nights ago I brewed a batch of Rogue Brewery Hazelnut Brown Nectar (SG-1.063) used a dry yeast (part of my experiement), activated the dry yeast with a bit of DME and yeast nutrient(just a dusting at this point) just before I started brewing, and pitched the yeast and yeast nutrient and 6 hours later the brew was already starting a bit and by the time I came home for lunch (12 hours after pitching yeast) I had to switch from my airlock to a blow-off hose! My carboy has a lot of head space too. Here it is about 48 hours later and I've had to switch to a larger cup, clean the hose, dump the cup of water/carmel looking milk a few times and it is still going at a bubble a millisecond! I will never brew without yeast nutrient again! Can't wait to see what it will do with a liquid yeast and a high SG!!! Moral of the story, if you see a trick, try it, it is usually worth it!

Every since I have started using yeast nutrient and making starters (about 8 batches) I have had to use a blowoff tube every time. I just consider it the norm now.

Every since I have started using yeast nutrient and making starters (about 8 batches) I have had to use a blowoff tube every time. I just consider it the norm now.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I even took the bung off and took some cake off as far as I could scoop off the top and it still is almost more then the blowoff tube can take... I'm just so happy I tried it, no looking back now

I just use fermcap and check it every day. Sometimes I have to add a couple extra drops if fermentation is still going crazy.

The faster your fermentation begins, the less time there is for any type of infection to take hold of your beer. Many beers begin with bacteria or other nasties in them, but a good healthy fermentation stops them from being able to spread. Also, it is a sign of good healthy yeast that will fully ferment all of the sugars and then clean up after themselves.

What size carboy do you have? I got a 6.5 gallon off recommendation by the LHBS I went to in San Diego & never needed to consider a blow-off tube (even after a double-pitched 1.082 OG holiday ale that got pretty damn close to the top...).

The carboy I use is 6.5 gallons and I have needed a blowoff tube every time since using nutrient and starters.

If I use a 5G carboy I need a blowoff even for small beers pitched with a smack pack. It wants to ferment that fast.

Also, I am fairly certain that dry yeast manufacturers advise against rehydrating yeast with DME or yeast nutrient, in preference of plain water. The yeast are designed to have reserve sugars so they have something to eat in between rehydration and pitching. Also, yeast are briefly unable to regulate their cell walls during rehydration. Pitching into water is safe, whereas pitching into a solution of DME or minerals like yeast nutrient may cause cell wall damage, meaning fewer viable cells in your pitch.

In summary, if you want to add yeast nutrient, it's better to add to the boil to make sure it dissolves fully and your yeast are spared that problem. Also, your yeast don't need to be "proofed" like bread yeast.

Source for some of my info: http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Back