Antique refrigerator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesmirk

Reaction score
I bought an antique fridge for next to nothing, but failed to consider the icebox inside that might prevent the corny kegs from fitting. I would like to remove the ice box, but I am pretty sure that it might be necessary for cooling in such an old refrigerator. Has anyone had success with removing the ice box, or maybe bending it in so that the keg will fit?
Here are some photos:
IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

The freezer setion is essential as it supplies all the cooling for the unit. Some have succeeded and others have failed at moving / relocating the cooling plate. Be very careful not to kink or break the cooling line or the fridge will be inoperable.

Nice fridge BTW.

I assumed that the freezer was integral to the operation of the fridge. Any advice on how I fit the corny kegs into it, or am I out of luck with this one?

How close are the kegs to fitting? Maybe you could turn the freezer portion sideways? The tubes that run to it should be somewhat flexible, but be careful not to break them.

With newer units people are able to bend those cold coil/plates pretty easily. The old one you have looks to be solidly built and I think you might have a hard time bending it without breaking it. The hiss sound of freon escape is a bad noise to hear.

What is the distance between the freezer and sidewalls? 9" hopefully?

I have attached some more photos. I just need to get it out of the way for at least 2 kegs and the co2. My next thought is to cut out the right side where there does not appear to be any refrigerant lines, and carefully bend the left side to be straight, and then bend it so it rests in the center. Any opposition to this?
Thanks for everyone's input.

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

The ribs in the plate where the refrigerant look way too thick to bend IMO. just be careful and take your time. Could you rotate the whole evaporator 90 degrees?

Slow and steady...steady and slow...thats the way she likes to go. Agreed, unscrew it from the top of the fridge and try and rotate it. Ideally if you could cut it an bend it so the cooling plate is flat against the back wall, ya might fit more kegs, but could be risky.

Well, I am almost completed with it. I was able to move the evaporator out of the way without causing any leaks, to my knowledge. I am now able to fit 2 kegs and the CO2, which is pretty good considering the entire unit is only 4 feet tall. As soon as I get in in its final resting place, and add a drip tray, I'll get it posted in the sticky thread. For now, here are some before and after photos.
Thanks for all the help!

IMG_3665.jpg

Finishedkegerator.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Latest posts

Back