Secondary Fermentation in bucket vs. carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but here goes! I brewed last night (we'll call this Batch A) and so my fermentation bucket is occupied for the next two weeks. I want to brew again this week, however. I have two carboys so I could do the primary fermentation on Batch B in the one carboy. Here comes my dilema. When I transfer Batch A to the other carboy, both will be in use. I will still have my fermentation bucket, however, so I could move Batch B over there for secondary fermentation. Will using a fermentation bucket instead of a carboy have an adverse effect on the beer? I would assume not, but I'm just checking.

Just skip the secondary and use all your carboys and buckets as primary fermenters. Most ales need about 7-14 days in the primary. After that they can go straight to the bottle or keg.

DISCLAIMER: I assume you have pitched the proper amount of healthy yeast, oxygenated your wort and managed your fermentation temps.

I'm shooting for two weeks in primary and two weeks in secondary. I used a belgian strong liquid yeast. I did not use a yeast starter as I have no clue how to do that. I consulted the head brewer at a local brewery who also owns a brew shop, and he assured me that the liquid yeast would do the trick, but would just take longer. Learning the ins and outs of yeast is the next thing I really need to do. Fermentation temp is perfect in my basement, currently it's around 65 down there, and that maintains day or night.

honestly I always secondary in plastic. I only use my single glass carboy for long secondaries, like Barleywines or IPAs. My brews spend one week in their first plastic bucket, then the following week (7-8 days depending on which of my days off I brew) I transfer it into a second bucket for another week. After that its straight into the keg and on CO2 for a few days before I draw the first pint

Back