Wrong yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowser220

Reaction score
I was given the wrong information on a yeast and I am curious on how it affect my brew. I usually use S-05 but was talked into S-04. I am brewing a light ale with 7lbs of 2 row, 1lbs honey malt, .25lbs biscuit. .5 ounce cluster and .5 ounce liberty in a 60 minute boil. Fermenting at 66 degrees

S-04 is an English yeast, if you want it to be neutral keep it as cold as you can, around 60F. I use it at 62-64F for English pales. Don't use it above 65F.

It drops like a rock, it makes a very pretty beer. A lot of people use it for that reason.

Both yeasts produce a crisp, clean beer. Both have medium flocculation. You should be fine. You might get a little more of a British yeast flavor in the beer, but otherwise it will not adversely harm your beer.

It will be fine if you keep it around 62-64*F (beer temp, not air) for the first 4-5 days before letting it come up to finish at 67-68*F.

As an English style yeast, it should compliment the honey malt and biscuit quite nicely.

I checked the temperature and it is at 68 degrees. It has a fruity smell to it. I pinched the yeast Saturday night. Should I try to get the temperature down or leave it alone.

I've never used S-04 (I rarely use dry yeast), but I tend to like English strains fermented around 66-68. Then again, I'm doing English styles and trying to coax a lot of English yeast character out of them.

In your case, I'd say that much of your ester character is already formed. I would just let it ride as is.

I thought about cold crashing the beer after two weeks. Would this help? Is there a proper way to cold crash.

Cold crashing isn't going to change the flavor profile, but rather force yeast to flocculate to make clear beer faster. When you're dealing with a highly flocculant strain like most English strains, it's probably not necessary.

I thought about cold crashing the beer after two weeks. Would this help? Is there a proper way to cold crash.

Yes. It will help clarify the beer, firm up the trub layer in the bottom of the fermenter plus you'll end up with less yeast trub in the bottom of each bottle.

After it's hit FG and stayed there a few days, simply drop the temp to 35-36*F and leave it there for 5-7 days. Rack it cold into the bottling bucket or keg. When you use a priming calculator, input the same temp (highest seen during fermentation) that you would have had you not cold crashed it. After priming, give it a gentle stir with a sanitized plastic spoon to make sure that the sugar is evenly distributed throughout the cold beer. Bottle it cold. It will warm up within a few hours and begin the carbonation process.

With that much honey malt, I don't think it really matters what yeast you use. The honey malt will dominate the flavor.

With that much honey malt, I don't think it really matters what yeast you use. The honey malt will dominate the flavor.

Yeah, a whole pound is quite a lot in a 5-gallon batch. About twice what I typically use.

It was actually 12 ounces of honey. I got the recipe from northern brewer. They call it a cream ale but sounds more like a blonde. People ranked it high and I thought I would try it.

I just took a reading on the brew after 6 days. The brew has not reached FG and still has fruity smell. It is also extremely dry. I thought about dry hopping to help with smell. Any thoughts on dryness

I personally wouldn't try to dry hop in an attempt to try and cover up a fruity smell noticed during ferment.

Dryness? Hasn't reached FG? Those two observations sort of don't go together..

I'd let it ride at this stage and leave it alone for another week.

I kegged the brew a few weeks ago. It came out okay. The use of the wrong yeast made a noticeable difference. I did dry hop it but it made little difference.

Back