1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super rookie question. Stove top 1 gallon brew. During the mash do you keep a lid on the pot? I have done 3 all grains and everytime I have used the proper amount of liquid for the mash and the sparge and by the time I bottle I'm getting 6-7 beers. I assume I'm losing too much liquid to evaporation during the boil. Thoughts?

Just before cooling, do you top it up to 1 gallon? If you start with 1.25 gallon I'd expect you'd end around 1 gallon, but if you start with less, it needs a top-up.
Stove-topper myself.

Just before cooling, do you top it up to 1 gallon? If you start with 1.25 gallon I'd expect you'd end around 1 gallon, but if you start with less, it needs a top-up.
Stove-topper myself.

Fermenter deadspace is a biggie. I have about a liter under the bottling spigot on my 2 gallon bucket so I adjust my water to account for that.

@blaggard
If you are using recipe software, it will tend to account for 10-12% evaporation in the boil, or maximum 15%.
If you change that number to 20% evaporation you will be much better off, in my opinion.

Been about five years since I've been in the homebrewing game. After buying a house recently, I'm back! And yet, I've decided to stick with small scale.. just picked up a bunch of equipment the other day.

The 1 gal BIAB method is so appealing to me (previously I mashed w/ a DIY home depot cooler)... I honestly don't drink enough beer to justify 5 gallon batches, I get bored of the same stuff, and I love to experiment. Doing all the work is a large part of the enjoyment. Plus, it saves me some money.

Been about five years since I've been in the homebrewing game. After buying a house recently, I'm back! And yet, I've decided to stick with small scale.. just picked up a bunch of equipment the other day.

The 1 gal BIAB method is so appealing to me (previously I mashed w/ a DIY home depot cooler)... I honestly don't drink enough beer to justify 5 gallon batches, I get bored of the same stuff, and I love to experiment. Doing all the work is a large part of the enjoyment. Plus, it saves me some money.
Yep, I could echo all the same sentiments. I hit a middle ground where I do some 3 gallon biab batches. The main reason behind it is gives you enough to easily share with people. But I still most often do one gallon batches. It's just such a faster brew day too.

Those doing smaller batches, 1-3 gallons, what are you using for bottling buckets? I recently bought three of these with an eye towards future experiments and smaller batch beers.
With a 1 gallon I will just siphon into a kitchen pot and then siphon into bottles from there. For 3 gallon batches I've put faucets on my buckets so I usually bottle directly from the fermenter with a sugar cube in each bottle, Or of I really want to dial in a carb level I will transfer to an empty bucket with a spout per usual. I have smaller buckets though I think they are 4 or 5 gallons I can't remember exactly.

Those doing smaller batches, 1-3 gallons, what are you using for bottling buckets? I recently bought three of these with an eye towards future experiments and smaller batch beers.

I use those little big mouth fermentors for my 1.25 gal batches. I siphon straight out of that, and add a sugar cube to each bottle. I get C&H locally, which is a bigger cube, and I picked up some Domino cubes off Amazon. I use the super scientific method of using the Domino cubes most of the time, and use the bigger C&H if it's a style that needs a little more carbonation.

I am gathering gear for 2.5-3 gal batches, and the fermentor has a valve on it, so I will go straight from there into bottles in the future.

Last edited:
The one gallon size is good for when you have an recipe you have never made before. If it comes out horrible you will be so, so glad that you did not make five gallons.

Just brewed a 3 gallon batch of Irish Red for St. Paddy's Day. I find 3 gallon batches just the right size, still do a 1 gallon once in a while just to try a new recipe but there never seems enough to share a few with that size I usually end up drinking it all myself.

Pretty new to the scene and also a 1 gallon batch brewer. Got a kit from northern last summer and first two batches didn't come out great. In a new apartment now and have an APA fermenting currently.

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a mini tabletop BIAB setup to brew tiny batches of 1-2 bottles. Just as a novelty and teaching tool. Kinda like those miniature steam engines that hobbyists use to power model boats. Might be a source for materials.

It could use a PID to fire a small heating element and a tiny wilser bag that only holds a couple handfuls of grain. I wonder if recipe calculators would work with .25 gallon batches??

Imagine fermenting in a little glass jug and lagering inside one of those mini tabletop peltier refrigerators. Man this is fun to think about!

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a mini tabletop BIAB setup to brew tiny batches of 1-2 bottles. Just as a novelty and teaching tool. Kinda like those miniature steam engines that hobbyists use to power model boats. Might be a source for materials.

It could use a PID to fire a small heating element and a tiny wilser bag that only holds a couple handfuls of grain. I wonder if recipe calculators would work with .25 gallon batches??

Imagine fermenting in a little glass jug and lagering inside one of those mini tabletop peltier refrigerators. Man this is fun to think about!

Hey that gives me an idea. How about using the pressure from fermentation gases to power a beer engine that would huff around a track during the active phase of fermentation.

I miss seeing this thread come up regularly and since the beer I have in my fermentor right now is a true one gallon batch, I thought I’d share... I’m making a no sparge, no squeeze Barleywine. I had planed for it to be a 12% beer, but due to my low efficiency it will end up about 10% I think. I just dry hopped it tonight with a half ounce of Columbus, a half ounce of Fuggles and a quarter ounce of Amarillo. I plan on bottling this within the next week and after priming will stick it in my fridge to “lager” until Christmas.

I miss this thread, too. It's what got me into doing small one gallon batches. I just brewed a single hops and dry malt (SHaME) batch on Monday. 15 minute boil, took an hour and twenty minutes from start to finish with everything cleaned up. 1 lb light DME (half added at 170F, the other half added at flame out), 11 g Motueka at 15 minutes and 17.35 g at flame out (for a total of 1 oz). Used some leftover Notty I had floating around. 3rd time I've done this all with different hops. The first two came out pretty good. Should be around 4.25%ABV and 30 IBUs. Not sure on the ABV, that's just according to software. I didn't bother to take an OG and won't take a FG either.

I found a machine on KickStarter than can brew any style of beer and a bunch of other drinks. I think it can brew coffee, tea, and soda as well! Does this seem like a good brewing appliance to buy considering I’m a beginner?

https://2a314b.kckb.st
I'm not knocking what they are trying to achieve with those automated brewing systems, and it might be exactly what you are looking for, but it won't teach you anything about brewing beer. I guess it depends on what your goals are.

If you want mediocre beer at the push of a button just buy a soda vending machine and fill it with sam adams. :D

Last edited:
I'm not knocking what they are trying to achieve with those automated brewing systems, and it might be exactly what you are looking for, but it won't teach you anything about brewing beer. I guess it depends on what your goals are.

If you want mediocre beer at the push of a button just buy a soda vending machine and fill it with sam adams. :D

And when he starts a new profile, just to post the same message in 5 different threads that have nothing to do with Pico, it just ticks me off. It is pretty obvious that it is the developer trying to do an end-around forum rules.

Between your post and the Brülosophy podcast this week, I am inspired to do my own SHaME beer as my next brew. I’m thinking Nelson Sauvin. I’m even going to use my Wilserbag hop bag to keep as much debris out of the wort as possible and get maximum return on my investment.

I'm tired of hearing all you big boy 5-Gallon brewers telling us 1-Gallon brewers to step up. :D A lot of us brew 1-Gallon batches because that's all we have room for right now, not because we're afraid of stepping up our game. Trust me, if I could, I would, but in the meantime I'm actually really feeling the 1-Gallon game. Here's why:

Brew Day takes me about 3-4 hours, which includes cleanup.

I know one of the main points from 5-Gallon brewers is that "if you brew something amazing, you only have 10 bottles of it." My response- "Yea? So?" If I brew something amazing, chances are I'll brew something else amazing, and then perhaps I'll go back and brew that amazing beer again. And again.

5-Gallon brewers are always so quick to tell me- "Why put all that work in for just 10 beers." I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't consider my brew days as "work." I'm an insurance underwriter by day, but thoroughly enjoy cooking and now, brewing. I love the processes, and feel that it actually calms me. So work? I think not...

And lastly, I love the fact that I always have new things coming out of my pipeline. Yea, I just finished up drinking a really great IPA kit, but as sad as I may be to see it go, I can't wait to crack open my Weinstephaner Dunkel clone next! I'd rather have a few of LOTS of things than 50 of the same thing for 3 weeks.

So to all you big boy 5-Gallon + brewers out there, don't be so quick to hate on us 1-Gallon brewers. While eventually we'll graduate to your status, in the meantime, we're totally feeling what we've got going right now, and it's just as enjoyable for us, as it is for you. :rockin:

*Disclaimer*
This thread is not meant to pick a fight or evoke negativity. It is simply in jest, although, steeped in believed truths
I brew 15 to 20 gal batches. However, there is a lot to be said for the 1 gal system. If you're in to competitions you can knockout a lot of entries in a shorter time. As stated above it doesn't require much room. I'm at a standstill right now because I have no room for more beer. Not a bad problem unless you want to brew. I don't care if you only brew a glass full, if you're brewing more power to you. Prost!

I agree with JayJay, you need to learn how to brew first. If you don't know why you do what you do then you can't progress. I built a beautiful electric system but only after brewing for 18 years. My system is designed to control temp and time only but I still have to keep my hands it it. I don't want a pushbutton beer.

Last edited:
This thread makes me a very saaad panda.

2013_6beb.jpeg

For one, I don't see this snobbery about batch sizes. Do what you want and who cares what anyone else thinks. I personally will never do such small batch sizes but my simple reasoning is the time difference really isn't all that much and I drink a LOT so I want a lot of beer at my disposal. Many do small batches to test ideas and that is awesome and also saves money! Whatever works for the person is what's most important, I just see this as a non-issue.

Rev.
I agree. I brew 10 gallon batches because, between myself, my wife and our friends a lot of beer gets drunk. If we weren’t into beer so much I would brew smaller batches. This “debate” is a non issue.
Cheers

Its funny because I see this thread as a place to discuss brewing smaller batches, not a place to debate, like when I go into a library, I tend to gravitate to non-fiction memoirs. It’s not that the children’s book section doesn’t have good reads in it, it’s just not what I’m interested in right now.

All kidding aside there are other aspects of 1 gallon brewing to talk about that aren’t whether it’s better or worse. I think the thread has gone on so long because it doesn’t focus on the debate but rather other challenges and opportunities for brewing one gallon batches.

And lastly, I love the fact that I always have new things coming out of my pipeline. Yea, I just finished up drinking a really great IPA kit, but as sad as I may be to see it go, I can't wait to crack open my Weinstephaner Dunkel clone next! I'd rather have a few of LOTS of things than 50 of the same thing for 3 weeks.

This last point resonates with me, even though my setup is 5 gal. I bought a 5 gallon kit and have my first batch of IPA conditioning in bottles, and am really excited about drinking it. But the thing is I don't have very broad taste when it comes to beer. I love IPAs, but am very lukewarm on most other types. I actually may look at 1 gallon brewing later for experimenting with other stuff, because while I have no problem plowing through 50 bottles of an IPA I don't necessarily want 50 of a brown ale or stout or something lighter the wife would like. But I do want to eventually experiment more with those types. Brew on

I'm tired of hearing all you big boy 5-Gallon brewers telling us 1-Gallon brewers to step up. :D A lot of us brew 1-Gallon batches because that's all we have room for right now, not because we're afraid of stepping up our game. Trust me, if I could, I would, but in the meantime I'm actually really feeling the 1-Gallon game. Here's why:

I know one of the main points from 5-Gallon brewers is that "if you brew something amazing, you only have 10 bottles of it." My response- "Yea? So?" If I brew something amazing, chances are I'll brew something else amazing, and then perhaps I'll go back and brew that amazing beer again. And again.

5-Gallon brewers are always so quick to tell me- "Why put all that work in for just 10 beers." I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't consider my brew days as "work." I'm an insurance underwriter by day, but thoroughly enjoy cooking and now, brewing. I love the processes, and feel that it actually calms me. So work? I think not...

So to all you big boy 5-Gallon + brewers out there, don't be so quick to hate on us 1-Gallon brewers. While eventually we'll graduate to your status, in the meantime, we're totally feeling what we've got going right now, and it's just as enjoyable for us, as it is for you. :rockin:

*Disclaimer*
This thread is not meant to pick a fight or evoke negativity. It is simply in jest, although, steeped in believed truths
Don't forget, small batches require a lot more precision as well. Where a bigger batch is more forgiving on ingredient quantities, incorrect amounts of anything can dramatically change the flavor ... sometimes for good, sometimes not so much. That said, I agree completely ... brew day isn't a chore. Getting all the equipment out may be, but the actual brewing is fun.

I love that I am a one gallon brewer two gallons at a time. My next two brews will include a single hop and malt extract brew in two one gallon fermentors. Once the SHaME beer is complete, I will brew a true partigyle Wee Heavy/60 Shilling. I plan to pour my scotch wort onto the SHaME yeast cakes. I believe these two one gallon beers will be the most epic brew of my homebrew repertoire. The only thing I can’t figure, is what yeast to use. I mean I could use a scotch yeast, but I feel like the more important part of the process is to take a portion of wort and boil it down to a syrup, so I’m not sold on getting Scottish yeast and making a starter. Maybe since I’m brewing just 2 gallons of my SHaME I can just pitch a pack of 1728 over my two one gallon fermentors and call it good. Here’s a pic of my Barleywine priming in their natural habitat.View attachment 575043

I love that I am a one gallon brewer two gallons at a time. My next two brews will include a single hop and malt extract brew in two one gallon fermentors. Once the SHaME beer is complete, I will brew a true partigyle Wee Heavy/60 Shilling. I plan to pour my scotch wort onto the SHaME yeast cakes. I believe these two one gallon beers will be the most epic brew of my homebrew repertoire. The only thing I can’t figure, is what yeast to use. I mean I could use a scotch yeast, but I feel like the more important part of the process is to take a portion of wort and boil it down to a syrup, so I’m not sold on getting Scottish yeast and making a starter. Maybe since I’m brewing just 2 gallons of my SHaME I can just pitch a pack of 1728 over my two one gallon fermentors and call it good. Here’s a pic of my Barleywine priming in their natural habitat.View attachment 575043
If you intend to brew Scottish beers why would you not want to use the 1728? It should work well for the SHaME beer too. I brewed a 1.108 barleywine (10 gal) Then refilled the mash tun and brewed 15 gal of 1.052 Scottish Export. I used 1728 for both and they taste great and attenuated well. I served the Export at a party and it didn't last long. I'll let the BW age for several months and it should be very nice.

Just want to say:

I'm offended every time I see someone call a 1-gallon batch a "starter".

I'm kidding but I do have a serious question: for those that use glass 1-gal carboys... what is your process for taking gravity readings?
Do you drop in the hydrometer and then fish it out somehow? Or perhaps remove a sample with a turkey baster? What do you then do with the sample? Is there a better tool to use?

I can make larger batches but still do mostly 1-gal.

I only take two readings. One after brewing and chilling, one as I’m bottling so I can calculate my ABV. I look at the beer and watch the activity every day so I know when the beer is finished.

I only take two readings. One after brewing and chilling, one as I’m bottling so I can calculate my ABV. I look at the beer and watch the activity every day so I know when the beer is finished.
I've been doing exactly this, works well!

However this approach probably won't work so well if I want to make a 1 gal lambic style thing that takes months to ferment.
Maybe I just need a wide mouth FV :/

I use a sanitized turkey baster to draw a small amount that I measure with a refractometer. An online correction tool is needed to adjust the reading for the presence of alcohol. I taste the sample after, even though it’s small. There’s a lot of debate about using a refractometer but it works for me and only needs a few drops from my small batches.

*Disclaimer*
Completely agree with you. I'm older and don't drink like I did when I was younger. My wife doesn't drink beer so it's a waste to have 5 gallons going bad in the fridge. My only issue is the small batch makes it hard to get a nice filtered beer out. Siphoning for me has been a nightmare and I always end up with junk in the bottled beer. Now if you have a secret to fixing those issues, I'm going to be a happy brewer.

*Disclaimer*

Well I say MORE POWER TO YOU!! lol I brew 5 and 10 gallon batches. (and I Keg exclusively) Honestly, I can be done in 4 hours including cleanup. However, that would be rushing. I too enjoy the process. All of it. So my brew days are normally quite leisurely. This is "my" time away from kids, wife etc...(Not that I feel I need to be away from them.. but you get what I mean.) All I can say is, enjoy the process, enjoy your finished product and keep on Rockin'!!!

Back