Recipe critique and substitutions: Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Ok, I've scratched the Bison Stout clone (will do that later, have pupkins, must use). Found this recipe on BYO Magazine's website. I don't want to end up with something like Wolaver's Will Stevens' Pumpkin Ale b/c I find that thing so unbalanced and attrocious. Also, should I use pumpkin pie pumpkins or will any pumpkin do? Here's the recipe:

1.25 lbs. (0.57 kg) Muntons Extra Light dried malt extract
3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg) Northwestern Gold liquid malt extract
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) CaraPils malt
5–6 lbs. (2.3–2.7 kg) pumpkin (cubed)
5 AAU Cascade hops (60 mins)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 5% alpha acids)
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Dried ale yeast
0.75 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Boil pumpkin cubes in water for 15 minutes. Heat 0.75 gallons (2.8 L) of water to 163 °F (73 °C). Place crushed grains in steeping bag and steep grains at 152 °F (67 °C) for 45 minutes. When pumpkin is ready, add chunks to grain bag and add cool water (to maintain 152 °F (67 °C) temperature). Combine grain and pumpkin "tea," dried malt extract and water to make 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of wort. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the start of the boil. Add liquid malt extract and spices with 15 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment at 69 °F (21 °C).

Now for the really important thing. I want to use only dry extract and I don't have an option for "Gold", only "XLight, Light, Amber, Dark, Wheat"....

bump.gif

Ummm, where is your thesis statement? Was there a question here? If it is about pumpkin variety, butternut squash works well. If it is about DME shades, you need to be more specific: Do you not have access to the gold shade of DME you need for this recipe, or does your brewing software not have any preloaded information on gold DME?

The reason this needed to be bumped is that "Pumpkin Ale" has been a hot topic around here since August, the search function is your friend.

Sorry, I didn't proof read when I posted. I ment to say "Will this recipe turn out like Wolaver's Will Stevens' Pumpkin Ale/and does this seem like a well balanced recipe?"

I do not have any brewing software nor do I have the money for purchasing software. I do not have access to Gold DME.

I usually search, but I skipped it this time because I am asking questions pertaining to this recipe I found, not looking for a new recipe.

If missing the gold is a problem you can just use the light dme and steep some carmel malts for color and flavor. I thin half a pound of carmel 60 should do the trick in addition to the light extract.

Online brewing calculators (FREE):

The Beer Recipator 2.2
TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation
BeerTools Beer Making Resources and Home Brewing Recipe Calculator and Formulator - trial

Free un-crippled download:

Qbrew

Keep saving up for something like ProMash, but any of those calculators will get your job done.

Bob
Cool! Thanks for the links!

If you truly cannot afford $22 for brewing software , perhaps a batch of homebrew that probably runs ~$30-40? is out of your price range too. :rolleyes:
Nah, I just have my priorities. Credit card payment(read: credit card slavery), drinking beer, and brewing beer. The software comes in somewhere after that. :mug:

Back