Brewing my first milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I'm brewing a milk stout this weekend. The last porter that I did turned out bad (possible infection), so I'm wondering if there's anything special I need to do to brew with dark grains. Do I do a 60 or 90 minute boil? Is there anything I need to do special during mash? I'm pretty sure it's just like any other beer I've brewed, but I want to make sure there aren't any special handling considerations with dark grains. The recipe has roasted barley and chocolate malt, and I'm putt a 1lb of lactose in 10 minutes left in the boil.

Thanks!

Nope. Dark grains don't need any special care. The only thing I've noticed about stouts is they tend to need a little longer in the bottle before they really hit their stride. Other than that, proceed as normal. Cheers!

Nothing special need for a stout.

If you actually did have an infection, make sure that you sanitize all of your equipment very well.

Back