Belgian/American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Anyone ever just pitch Belgian yeast into a regular pale ale recipe? I'm considering brewing 10 gallons and splitting the yeast, one with WLP550. I'm not seeing too many recipes around, wondering if it's for a reason.

I made a light pale ale like beer with all amarillo hops and fermented it with wlp566 (Saison II). I was mostly trying to use it as a starter for the 566 before I brew a saison, but it has smelled great into the fermenter and the limited sample I have had were good as well.

Do it, but be careful not to choose the more aggressive American hops (Chinook, CTZ, etc.).

Its hard to balance high AA hops with Belgian yeast. However, I've used excessive amounts of Summit still with competition-winning results. The thing is that its really easy for the yeast character to sink into the background with the hops dominating. I wouldn't say to avoid the crazy American hops because I do love that taste but be careful!

Back