Porter recipe for Home Brew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my preliminary recipe for the Porter I'm hoping to enter in the AHA competition for 2007. Right now I'm shooting for a brown porter but I'm not completely sure if I will stick with this or not. I would be interested in what everyone thinks.
I haven't decided on a yeast yet because I don't have a clue which one would be best.

PS: I'm also thinking about using Morris Otter in place of the Pale malt. I need to do a bit more research on this before I decide.

Porter No. 1

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.50
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.09
Anticipated SRM: 23.7
Anticipated IBU: 30.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
57.1 6.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
19.0 2.00 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.035 6
9.5 1.00 lbs. Biscuit Malt Great Britain 1.035 35
4.8 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
4.8 0.50 lbs. Molasses Generic 1.036 80

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 25.1 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 5.1 30 min.

Yeast
-----

What's your reasoning behind going with a single hop variety? I know it's not a huge part of a Porter, but it seems like you are giving up an opportunity for complexity and character there...

I've never used biscuit malt, but for some reason the whole idea of it really turns me off. I'd suggest using a little bit (1/4-1/2lb?) of Special B malt instead. I used it in mine and I think it blends well with all the other malts you've chosen.

That looks pretty good. The only thing that throws me is the Buscuit, and that's just because I've never used it. I don't see any reference to it in Designing Great Beer's section on Porters, but that doesn't mean it won't be good!

I would wager that this proves to be a real nice, malty, smooth beer, for whatever my opinion is worth!

I think you're fine with the hops, you want the malt character to shine through here. If anything I would consider using two or three different 'strengths' of crystal malt for extra complexity. You'll probably want a characterful English style yeast here, maybe one of the wyeast/WL London strains? I'm no expert but I reckon yeast selection and fermentation conditions will make the difference between a good beer and a competition winner. I would consider toning down the molasses unless you've used that amount before.

I'd probably increase the amount of crystal to 1.0-1.5 lbs and make part of that C40L. You're fine on the hops for the style guidelines, which is really important for competitions. Make certain your molasses is NOT black strap. If that is all you can find, cut it to 4 oz.

If you can find brown malt, it really shines in brown porters.

Toot said:
What's your reasoning behind going with a single hop variety? I know it's not a huge part of a Porter, but it seems like you are giving up an opportunity for complexity and character there...
From what I've read, hop character should be fairly subdued in a brown Porter. problem is, I keep tweaking the recipe and it's now leaning toward a Robust Porter so I might change the hop schedule to balance the malt.
Toot said:
You'll probably want a characterful English style yeast here, maybe one of the wyeast/WL London strains? I'm no expert but I reckon yeast selection and fermentation conditions will make the difference between a good beer and a competition winner. I would consider toning down the molasses unless you've used that amount before
I think you are correct. Yeast and fermentation will be critical to perfect the malt profile. Another consideration is the fermentation temps. My basement is about 62 degrees and I'm concerned that it may be a bit too cool.
I'm cutting back the molasses to a quarter pound. I've never used it before and I've read it can be a bit over powering.
the_bird said:
That looks pretty good. The only thing that throws me is the Buscuit, and that's just because I've never used it. I don't see any reference to it in Designing Great Beer's section on Porters, but that doesn't mean it won't be good!
Torchiest said:
I've never used biscuit malt, but for some reason the whole idea of it really turns me off. I'd suggest using a little bit (1/4-1/2lb?) of Special B malt instead. I used it in mine and I think it blends well with all the other malts you've chosen.
I've been thinking about the biscuit malt and I don't think it is what I want. I do like the idea of the Special B however. The raisin tones will add complexity. Nice idea.

david_42 said:
I'd probably increase the amount of crystal to 1.0-1.5 lbs and make part of that C40L.
If you can find brown malt, it really shines in brown porters.
I'm toying with adding more Chrystal. The gravity is creeping up (this is typical of my recipe formulations :D )so I've got to be careful.

Thanks for the input guys! I'll post the final recipe when I stop tweaking it. (I hope I can stop tweaking it!)

I was going to post my final recipe but it occurred to me that since I'm entering this into a contest I better keep it to myself until it is over. I will post the recipe I brew in this thread at a later date.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have taken it all into consideration and have adjusted the recipe. I think this is going to be a good porter. Will it win any awards? I seriously doubt it but I'm going to have fun with it any way. :mug:

Edit: I think I will try to brew it this Saturday.

thats alot of chocolate malt. you going to mash it for the whole 60 minutes, or add it later on? Ive just had better flavor when using chocolate malt when I add it at the last 15 minutes of the mash. But thats just me.

Looks good though, good luck

Chimone said:
thats alot of chocolate malt. you going to mash it for the whole 60 minutes, or add it later on? Ive just had better flavor when using chocolate malt when I add it at the last 15 minutes of the mash. But thats just me.

Looks good though, good luck
It is quite a bit of chocolate malt but I've seen recipes with even more. Some with as much as 1 pound each of chocolate and black patent.
I'm now shooting for a robust porter and the roast character of the chocolate and patent need to be fairly evident in the aroma and flavor. Time will tell and it will be a fun experience no matter what.
Thanks!

Back