yeast starter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
"Working" and "optimal" and not the same thing. You may find that underpitching leads to off-flavors and stressed yeast.

While it works for you, it probably isn't giving you the best beer you can have. I don't know of one commercial brewery that underpitches and is pleased with the results. For an ale, you want to pitch around 0.75 million cells of viable yeast, for every milliliter of wort, for every degree Plato.
Underpitching will "work" in that the beer will ferment. But optimum results come from optimum pitching rates.

Call me hard headed but if it was underpitched wouldn't it have a slow fermentation? I think I'm missing something here..

I was curious on a few things of starter size as well. I was reading https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/index10.html
and in it he mentions that when harvesting directly from a primary has about 25% of the trub is yeast. While in a starter up to 75% can be yeast. Based on that when making a starter you can set the viability on Mr. Malty to 300% and you get an approximate amount of yeast that should be in that size starter at the end of the fermentation. At least this is mentioned in there somewhere(I read it yesterday and don't remember where.)

Based on that you need much smaller starters(especially with a stir plate over a simple starter) than what is estimated by Mr. Malty normally.

Am I misunderstanding this? Can someone help shed light on the cell count, viability, and size of starters?

Edit I found the information he posted on that.
I'm no expert on washed yeast. But, given that washed yeast contains far fewer non-yeast solids than harvested yeast - without doing a cell count and examination under microscopy I can't say for sure how much - it follows that the viable cell count has to increase by the same ratio as non-yeast solids decreases.

Fix tells us that, on average, a harvested slurry contains 25% yeast solids and 75% non-yeast solids. So if you remove 100% of the non-yeast solids, your slurry goes from 25% purity to 100% purity, or pretty much what you get from a starter or a sample from a yeast manufacturer. Fix also tells us that there are 4 to 4.5 billion cells per ml of pure yeast solids. Therefore, if you have 38.5 ml of pure yeast solids, you have 154 to 173 billion cells in your washed slurry (provided it's fresh, newly washed).

I have only every pitched SF-05 for IPA's and the Wyeast liquid packs for others. I've never had a brew not be bubbling out of the carboy in ~5 hours. At the very least 8 hours. All come out right as expected too.

Have a belgian Trippel with the wyeast High gravity yeast from NB going right now. 1 pack, and it's still going crazy after 6 days. I have a hard time justifying pitching two smack packs for one beer when one is doing it's job..

Not trying to be cheap! I'm so far into this little "hobby" that I spare no expense where necessary.

Again, lag times, attenuation, active airlocks, "works for me," etc. are all fine and dandy but the science has spoken....

0.75 million cells per mL wort per * plato is the optimal pitching rates for most ales

You can make "beer" with stale LME and bread yeast.

Most people recognize they need quality ingredients but then some skimp on the yeast.

I'm trying to make the best beer I can, and science is on my side when it comes to yeast starters.

Call me hard headed but if it was underpitched wouldn't it have a slow fermentation? I think I'm missing something here..
My understanding is that under pitching yeast can lead to more multiplication happening in the wort which produces more esters and unwanted compounds and that is even if it gets through fermentation. To further cause complications yeast may appear to be actively fermenting but over multiplication (without sufficient nutrients and O2) can lead to reduced cell health, particularly the cell wall which keeps toxins (alcohol and others) from killing the cell. The weaken yeast cells will happily eat maltose however the more complex sugars that healthy cells can eat will be left behind give you a stuck fermentation.

Clem

Back