Homebrewing with traditional Newfoundland recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashacado

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am completely new to brewing. I have successfully completely one batch of ginger beer so far. I am brewing it again and I fear that I may have killed off my yeast.

The recipe says to "let mixture (of boiling water, sugar, ginger, cream of tartar, lemon rind) cool and then add yeast and lemon juice")

Having baked many batches of bread in my life, I assumed this meant cool to luke warm. I tested on my wrist and it seemed cool enough but I realized after having added it that it seemed a little hot, tested again and it definitely felt a little warm on my wrist. I think this temperature would be too hot for bread-type yeast but would it kill brewer's yeast? Is my batch spoiled? Help!

Thank you in advance!

I don't know, but you might consider adding another packet of yeast once it has cooled off.

B

And if not, should I add the whole amount again or a little less? It called for 2 packs of yeast for 8 litres.

Back