Affordale electric system advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
OK. I currently have a Gas based All grain system, 50 L HLT, 55 Qt Cooler Mastun and a 58 L Boil kettle. I have had no luck with weather this year and want to move it inside. The problem I have is I have read the threads on electric brewing but I do not want to invest in controllers yet. Is there an affordable (cheap) way to set up an all electric brewery without using controllers up front. 4500 W 240 V elements are $23 each, thats the only thing I have priced so far as other than that I dont know what to get for a system.

If you already have a 220/240 gfci outlet all you would need to do is plug your element in to the outlet. If you wanted to turn it off just switch the breaker off. If you don't have gfci you would want to do this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/l...le-vessel-electric-brewing-241745/index2.html. Go to page 2 and check out the spa panel. Thats how I'm going to have to do it since i rent and a gfci breaker is over $100.

I was planning on splitting into my 220 for my dryer, theres a junction box in the basement I can tap off of.

If you are going to use electric for the boil pot you will want a PWM to control it or you will have boil overs. The HLT can be turned off with a switch.

I cant seem to find my link to it but search through the RIMS build threads or search for Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and there is a link to a cheap, $8 circuit board project you can buy online. You need to switch out a particular capacitor and replace it with a different valued one but the instructions are on the thread im talking about. Hook that up to a Solid State Relay (SSR) and hook everything together for the cheapest possible electric build with the ability to adjust the power levels going to the element.

Yes you can run an HLT or brew kettle manually. For the HLT element sizing is irrelevant as you just turn it off when you reach temperature. For the brew kettle, you either need to control it or have it size appropriate. I would guess 3000w for 5 gallon batches or 4000w for 10 gallon batches would work. Elements are cheap, find one that works for your pot and batch size. People have reported success w/ a simple 2000w kettle.

disclaimer: this is a very simplistic approach that will work and make beer. In no way am i representing it will be as "good" as a sophisticated controlled system.

OK, Did some research on here, I found a thread that uses a DC PWM, cheap. Made a drawing, it's in Jpg format, text isnt really ledgible, Powerpoint didnt save it as a good quality Jpeg. Can someone look at this and let me nkow if it's logical please.

Control Box.jpg

Back