Do I need to clean and sanitize a brand new carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I can rinse with hot water and then sanitize with my easy clean?

You can rinse with hot water but make sure it's quick. As for sanitizing, as long as you sanitize the usual way (no funny business), then you will most likely be good to go!

You can rinse with hot water but make sure it's quick. As for sanitizing, as long as you sanitize the usual way (no funny business), then you will most likely be good to go!

If i leave it into long will it mess up my better bottle? I don't want to do this... Can I most likely just skip the hot water and start sanitizing?

If i leave it into long will it mess up my better bottle? I don't want to do this... Can I most likely just skip the hot water and start sanitizing?

Sorry I thought you were talking about a glass carboy. I have no idea what a plastic carboy is like.

You'll be fine for now, especially since it's a new carboy. Easy Clean can sanitize a little I think, just not very well.

Otherwise, bleach works, but is no fun to work with. Most use StarSan or Iodaphor, available at any homebrew shop.

Sorry I thought you were talking about a glass carboy. I have no idea what a plastic carboy is like.

Okay well do you think I will be okay using easyclean just this once as my sanitizer? I don't have starsan, because the guy at my LHBS told me to get easy clean instead (when I probably need both). Will I be okay do you think? Also I am making cider, so while sensitization is important, it isn't quite as important as beer right? Let me know what you think. THanks.

I really wanted to start this batch today :(

You'll be fine for now, especially since it's a new carboy. Easy Clean can sanitize a little I think, just not very well.

Otherwise, bleach works, but is no fun to work with. Most use StarSan or Iodaphor, available at any homebrew shop.

Thanks you answered my question before I asked it :). I guess I can get started now :).

You can add a few of those to kill off anything, but then you have to wait 24-48 hours before pitching the yeast.

What's your juice source?

HoboBrewing said:
Okay well do you think I will be okay using easyclean just this once as my sanitizer? I don't have starsan, because the guy at my LHBS told me to get easy clean instead (when I probably need both). Will I be okay do you think? Also I am making cider, so while sanitization is important, it isn't quite as important as beer right? Let me know what you think. THanks.

I really wanted to start this batch today :(

U know the first 4 brews,I did I grabbed the easy clean instead of sanitizer(because I was new and didn't realize it). And it worked fine. Didn't have any infections. I did switch over to idoraphor.

U know the first 4 brews,I did I grabbed the easy clean instead of sanitizer(because I was new and didn't realize it). And it worked fine. Didn't have any infections. I did switch over to idoraphor.

Yeah I think I am going to buy some starsan asap. Any big differences between starsan and idoraphor?

After the surface is clean, rinsing well with water takes care of 99% of bacteria. People just are really intense about that last 1%.

This is total speculation but I believe infections probably come from materials that are not completely clean: foreign bits, pores in plastic, unclean utensils, or something in the environment.

I use starsan because the manufacturer assured me that starsan is an excellent yeast nutrient.

Yeah I think I am going to buy some starsan asap. Any big differences between starsan and idoraphor?

Iodaphor stains, StarSan doesn't. That was enough for me. Both work. Plenty of threads debating the two.

TyTanium said:
Iodaphor stains, StarSan doesn't. That was enough for me. Both work. Plenty of threads debating the two.

But the staining is only cosmetic. Not going to harm anything.

Okay well I started and added 6tsps of easy clean to my carboy and added water, but it didn't mix. I have a better bottle and can't really stir it... Any suggestions? I did what this guy did : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh6zrS-Dl5c

Also it says not to rinse, but what if there is still a bunch laying on the bottom when I dump it out?

okay
also Do I wait for it to dry before adding my juices? And I shouldn't be worried aobut the tiny white spots on the sides which are probably starsan residue? Or should I rinse it out anyway? Thanks.
It has some white residue, but I read that is normal... I guess I will just start adding the juice.

That's the yeast nutrient I was talking about :)

Okay thanks! Quick question for when I buy my sanitizer. When I buy my sanitizer, should I sanitize first and then use easy cleaner, so that the yeast nutrient doesn't get dumped out with the starsan? Thanks.

Clean first, then sanitize.

The yeast nutrient is from the StarSan, not the Easy Clean.

Clean first, then sanitize.

The yeast nutrient is from the StarSan, not the Easy Clean.

Haha this makes sense... I was so confused as to why there would be yeast nutrient in easy clean. Anyway, that little bit of residue from easy clean shouldn't hurt my cider right?

Back