The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's likely where I'm heading.
I need to kick two kegs tonite. One's down, the other has a few pours left. One of which is staring me in the eye as I type this...

Cheers? :drunk:

69 ounces left per my tap list. It's not looking good wrt kicking #2.

BUT...the last vestige of sobriety just said "*******, just pull it, put it in the conditioning fridge, stick the pick-a-nick tap on it, and stuff a freshie in the keezer. *******."

[My inner self shows little mercy]

So I have that going for me...if I remember it in the morning...

Cheers!

Ah, a kitchenist then. Too bad, there are lots of sturdy surfaces in most kitchens :D

My inner Luddite refuses to allow any of these "talk to the 'puter" boxes in the house. Which is somewhat surprising to most considering my career trajectory, but then again, I know things...

Cheers! ;)

I started woodsheding a blues number... On the kitchen table, by the refrigerator light. On the kitchen table, by the refrigerator light... On the kitchen table, Im gonna hold my baby tight... and so on.

You guys clearly had more fun than I did if there have been no posts since Wed night.
My home-grown hopped Yoopers Pale went first.
Then the "Must Use Copper Pipe Cream Ale" next. (Gotta come up with a snappier name than sulfidic sludge)
The Alaskan Amber is still going (I had two kegs of that and the BIL no likey the darker things) as is the Moose Drool and Oatmeal Stout.

[Edit: Just to be clear, home-grown hopped Yoopers Pale means Yoopers Haus Pale Ale hopped with my home grown Cascade. Yooper had nothing to do with it but the recipe. I did not dry hop with Yooper nor were any Yoopers maligned in the making of this beer)

Lots of fun here;

Yesterday I made a batch named #83. Not 83rd batch ever, but since I started brewing again.

My gosh darn grain mill is played out, and messing with it trying to get a good crush was only the start of a "fun" brew day.

Now wifey has a house guest who thinks she owns the place and is senior camp counselor, knocking of everyone's doors announcing breakfast, and talking about her stool sample app on her phone which tells her what she can and can not eat.

Pouring cold rain(imagine most of you have snow & ice), normally I'd be chilling around the house, but I got to get out of here.

ERMERGERD! Get out! Get away! I’d want to smack her. I recently bought 5 fifths of cheap bourbon and a liter of everclear, I’m adding it to my barrel today, one more trip to the liquor store for another 5 it should be full.

I think the phone just tells her what to eat based on sample she sent in, hopefully.

She is "on the spectrum" as they say, so she has little clue of how she is perceived, unless you are down right blunt with her. 5 or 6 hours until several pints of beer, I'll likely live.

I didn't know the home button could do more than sample your fingerprints, when you smear your finger on it.

Who knew?

Not me, I still use a flip phone. Soon I'll grab a beer, saunter in and re occupy my house, sure glad I have a separate shop with office on days like these.

ERMERGERD! Get out! Get away! I’d want to smack her. I recently bought 5 fifths of cheap bourbon and a liter of everclear, I’m adding it to my barrel today, one more trip to the liquor store for another 5 it should be full.

Are you trying to make bad bourbon taste better or are you priming your barrel for aging?

Are you trying to make bad bourbon taste better or are you priming your barrel for aging?
The cheap bourbon is actually pretty good for the money, my main goal is to keep the barrel clean and hydrated. The last beer that I aged in it was a stout, so if the spirit comes out tasting interesting and is palatable that will be a plus, if not at least I’ll get more use out of the barrel and not for a sour beer.

To just “recharge” the bourbon flavor all one needs is 8oz or so to roll around the inside. If that is all I was doing I’d use better bourbon.

Happy New Year!

I use Bulleitt bourbon for my egg nog and enjoy it. I'm not a bourbon expert. I usually find the 750ml for $25 if I'm lucky

I’d have to work a corner to afford 5 gallons of that! o_O I have Benchmark #8 $9-10 per fifth. I’ll let you know how my stout cask whiskey turns out (won’t be able to rightly call it bourbon).

So you're sort of cask conditioning cheep whisky? with added everclear to boot.

Do you drink it, or just save for cask refurbishment?

I only ask because I had a 10 gallon bourbon barrel, aged a porter in it, then filled it with cheap whiskey. It aged about a year, and I continue to draw off bottles. While the whiskey has become more complex, I wouldn’t say it has gotten appreciably better. There is also a lot of loss for the angels share. In the next couple months I will finish the whiskey and put 10 gallons of maple syrup in it to age about a year.

What does aging do to maple syrup? My late uncle in VT mentioned making beer out of maple sugaring pan runs, but never mentioned making booze out of the syrup itself.

Not booze, just bourbon barrel aged. Does the same thing as aging a beer in there. Infuses the bourbon flavor.
I have brewed with maple sap in place of water. Have to be careful to get a good balance with the additional sugar. Sap out of the tree is between 2-3% sugar.

Not to dissuade the effort, but the Spousal Unit obtained this just before Thanksgiving to use with her butternut squash recipe.

syrup.jpg

We both took a sip, loved the flavor (huge vanilla note) but couldn't pick up any whiskey character. I just took another sip, still nada - but wonderful all the same - this ain't no Aunt Jemima :D

Speaking of bourbon, what's the take on this one?

woodford.jpg

I'm not a whiskey drinker, it was recommended for a gift to the wife (who seems to love it) but it's all motor fuel to me :drunk:

Cheers!

WR is good for the price compared to other offerings I see here locally. I typically have Buffalo Trace on hand as my go to since it's quite a bit less $ but still a good quality Bourbon that can be served neat

I have a few $$$ Bourbons stashed away for special occasions, and sipping a WR neat after one of these can be disappointing

So you're sort of cask conditioning cheep whisky? with added everclear to boot.

Do you drink it, or just save for cask refurbishment?
Cheap bourbon, but not bad bourbon, and yes if it is good I’ll drink some and give some away, and use the barrel to age beer again. Even with cheap spirits 5 gallons gets pricey. The everclear is to boost the proof to make sure nothing is going to live in there.

Back