Just finished my third Mr. Beer batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsItUp

Reaction score
I just finished my third Mr. Beer batch, yet, while in the process, one of my buddies bought a setup with two 5 gal carboys and all the other goodies. I like where my beer is going, yet, I think that I need to step up to the carboys as I basically had to "help" him with his first batch. As I am on my fourth batch, I am now using a hydrometer (and other techniques which will inevitably prove invaluable) on my Mr.Beer batches due to what I have learned from the threads and input on here.

I guess I only have one question: Now that I am moving on to a "big boy setup". Does anyone still use their Mr. Beer?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone!

I just finished my third Mr. Beer batch, yet, while in the process, one of my buddies bought a setup with two 5 gal carboys and all the other goodies. I like where my beer is going, yet, I think that I need to step up to the carboys as I basically had to "help" him with his first batch. As I am on my fourth batch, I am now using a hydrometer (and other techniques which will inevitably prove invaluable) on my Mr.Beer batches due to what I have learned from the threads and input on here.

I guess I only have one question: Now that I am moving on to a "big boy setup". Does anyone still use their Mr. Beer?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone!

Okay, I'm not much further along than you, but I will say, I've just started doing five gallon batches, but I plan on continuing with Mr. Beer. I kind of look at the five gallon batches as "serious" beer making, while the Mr. Beer lets me make a quick two gallons of something decent to enjoy while waiting for that five gallon batch to finish conditioning. :D

my sister bought me a mr. beer set this past christmas... i used the mr. beer ingredients for the first batch... and.. well.. bleh... haha

I did use the mr. beer fermenter for my second batch, but i bought a beer kit from the local home brew store.

OMG, was it ever better.

For batch #3, i went ahead and bought the "big boy" 5 gallon set up.
Really, if you enjoy it enough to be on the 4th batch, the 5 gallon set up is more than worth it. Have i used my mr. beer fermentor since? no.. not really, though i still do have the 2nd mr. beer extract can that came with it.

I might hang on to it as a keep sake.. i reallly enjoy this, and in a year or two having that mr beer extract can might be an interesting keepsake... hahaha

The Mr. Beer fermenter is actually a nice little piece of work for the money. It fits in small spaces (like ice chests) and does a good job of collecting out the trub.

I've modded two by replacing the Mr. B rinky-dink valve with a standard 3/8" spigot. This allows easy transfer for batch priming. It also means enlarging the hole to 1" and futzing here and there to make it leak proof. But it's great for small batches.

I have a 1/2 batch of Ed's Apfelwein in mine. They are good for experimenting with small batches of beer.

I still use mine for half batches of recipes that I think I might like. I also use it for practice on my feble atempt @ writing my own recipes.

Cheers,

Back