Think this will work??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debkid

Reaction score
I started a batch of cider today - in 3 gallons _ put..
10 containers frozen concentrate - (preservative free)
1 packet (11.5 g) Safale US-56 - and water to make 3 gallons..

I plan to ferment for 7-10 days.. rack to secondary - then add 1-14 1/2 oz can tart cherries in water(pureed).. should any sugar/malt/dextrose be added to this??
then after another 7 days or so.. rerack and possibly add some finings..
wait til cleared then bottle -

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Deb

I've made many batches from concentrate. I prefer to add the fruit in the primary, you have two rackings to clear it up. But adding to the secondary has its supporters. I wouldn't add any sugar. Apple juice will ferment out to around 6-7% without any help. The cherries will push it a little higher. Tart cherries are best, IMO.

My friend Tom adds table sugar at a pound per gallons. I don't, too high an alcohol content overwhelms the apple flavors. There is some brown sugar in the spiced cider, but it's just for flavor ;)

I don't add finings to ciders. I like the added textures.

I'm adding the cherries in the secondary as recommended by the guy at the brewstore. One disadvantage I can see to that.. is they are tempting me to eat them before it's time to throw them in.. Hopefully I'll endup with cherry cider without another trip to the store for cherries.

Deb

Latest posts

Back